Control/Dimming ETC Idea48 desk, Colortran D192 dimmers

I understand what happened and even followed the whole packet explanation, although I would be hard pressed to explain it correctly. :) My question is why did the Elation board have the same symptom? We fairly discounted the board being the problem because two didn't work so it was supposed that the refresh rate or some portion of the DX wasn't liked by the dimmers.
We have learned that the Idea was pushing an odd packet size and moving the dipswitch fixed it. That still leaves a board that doesn't work. I assume the OP doesn't care because he was only using it as a test board but it is a curious thing.
I thought I posted this yesterday but I couldn't find it so I thought I would try again.

I understand what happened and even followed the whole packet explanation, although I would be hard pressed to explain it correctly. :) My question is why did the Elation board have the same symptom? We fairly discounted the board being the problem because two didn't work so it was supposed that the refresh rate or some portion of the DX wasn't liked by the dimmers.
We have learned that the Idea was pushing an odd packet size and moving the dipswitch fixed it. That still leaves a board that doesn't work. I assume the OP doesn't care because he was only using it as a test board but it is a curious thing.
I thought I posted this yesterday but I couldn't find it so I thought I would try again.

I am just guessing, but I suspect that the Elation board is sending the latest DMX 512a and the dimmer is really wanting some older DMX. I base this in part on the age of the dimmer and the Idea board being close to the same age, and the Elation board being much newer.

Just a note: I have enjoyed this thread about as much as any thread that I have read on CB. Many informed folks have brought some great information to the table.

Tom Johnson

This the part of the business I enjoy. In my job I spend little time actually running the equipment, mostly I supervise the rigging and the crew. When it doesn't work is when I get into it, my specialty is being the "make it work" guy. These types of discussions makes making it work easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back