Event Technology Marriott

peterleif

I just worked a load-in/out for a speaking engagement at our local Renaissance Marriott Hotel as an overhire. On my last day I was talking to one of the ET guys for the hotel and he said that they were looking to hire another person with lighting experience. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this sort of job and want to know if you think it would be a good place to start a career path in. My goal is to be a designer for large events, concerts, speeches, other engagements, etc... Just looking for some feed back if possible.

I worked hotel AV for a few years before going on to a rental/staging company (that also did many corporate events). It can be a great opportunity for sure. I went in as the rigger and lighting person and eventually ended up being their de facto video person (which led me to the second company and my current position). You can gain valuable experience depending on the property and the groups that they attract. We often had large corporate events that would book many bands (generally they will bring in their own designers) but you still end up working around them.

Ruinexplorer's comment is quite valid, I believe. Gaining some experience from working at a hotel lighting/AV gig would provide some insight to another branch of the lighting world while potentially broadening your horizons. (Not to mention growing your network of contacts.)
<My goal is to be a designer for large events, concerts, speeches, other engagements, etc>
IMHO there is no better place to see this unfold than from the ground up, and this may be that opportunity. Ask questions re: pay as well as benefits, and bear in mind that on-the-job training has value as well.

And good luck! Let us know what you decide!

Well I had my interview, just waiting for the background check and I should know in a few days hopefully. Thanks for your advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back