Control/Dimming Fast offline cue creation

I need to create, offline, a full set of cues for an upcoming show. I expect I will be using an ETC Element console, but it may actually end up being some other ETC console.

I know I can use the ETC offline program tp create and save cues to a thumb drive, but I'm working on a Windows PC at home and creating tons of cues on that is considerably slower than sitting down at a console to do so. I know the address and fixture type of all instruments (mixture of LED and non-LED.) I have a good idea what levels and colors I want. In fact, I have most of them setup in backup notes in Excel from a previous show.

My ideal would be to export the cues from my computer, plug the show file into the console, setup the patches, and be ready for a quick cue-to-cue in just a few minutes.

Like I said, I can create them in the ETC offline program... but is there a faster option I'm missing? I'd love a simple export from Excel, but something tells me that won't work. :(

Thanks!

I need to create, offline, a full set of cues for an upcoming show. I expect I will be using an ETC Element console, but it may actually end up being some other ETC console.

Thanks!

Assuming by "other ETC Console" you are staying within the Eos family ?. If not then the ASCII cue export to the Expression off-line editor and subsequent transfer to 3.5" floppy disc will be required.

Also assuming you are using the Eos Console Shortcut Key guide to help navigate the computer keyboard and make it function almost like the actual console ?.

http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/miscdocs/Eos_Family_v2.0_Hotkeys.pdf

And No, there isn't really any faster method outside of sitting at the console. You can get pretty fast once you remember a lot of the hotkey commands.

Thanks. I'm actually getting better at those shortcuts, not great yet. I'm sure I will get there in time. If there is no other option, I definitely will get better just through repetition.

Thank you.

You can also get faster by using presets, palettes, direct selects, and macros to speed up the repetitive tasks.

If you are good at programming in a scripting language I suppose you could create a USITT ASCII show file from the Excel spreadsheet and import that, but I doubt it would be any faster unless you have a lot of cues and are really efficient at writing scripts.

An X-Keys may also be a worthwhile investment.

X-keys Programmable Keyboards by P.I. Engineering

Agreed, the X-Key stuff, especially the 60 pretty much duplicates an Ion facepanel ( a few keys missing). If you are doing this a lot it can save time. Or needing to use a laptop as client with the X-Keys, all as a focus desk.

For a once off, or even merely occasional, the $200 price makes it a tough sell.

The $100 16 key unit is pretty cost effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back