Favorite tape for flat seams?

JLNorthGA

I typically use masking tape. Unfortunately with the high humidity, it peels up in some areas. Our flats are 10' tall and have Lauan plywood for the fronts.

I've never been much of a taper, for that exact reason. I have used either dutchman or spackle for flats, and often been in situations were I didn't have to worry about the aesthetics of the joint.

Gaff tape sticks better, though is thicker and more visible. Sometimes we skim-coat drywall mud over the tape. I did an experiment once a long time ago with some first aid tape, which is quite thin, and worked pretty well as I recall.

I generally use painters tape (but we don't have the humidity/peeling problem), and/or lightweight spackle if it really needs it, and a coat of shop waste paint before the scenic base. I find gaff or dutching way too thick for lauan flats, and just won't blend.

p.s. before I started here, they experimented with medical tape. They really liked it. However, we have been battling with the removal of it ever since, with goo gone and a lot of elbow grease. Of course, it also doesn't help that at strike they just left it on stock because they also thought that was the next show's problem. Personally I didn't see much visual difference between masking tape and the medical tape, but I certainly saw a difference with later removal!

If you are talking about a seam in a flat, eg the seam at 8' on a 4x10 luan faced flat, I used a flapper disc on a grinder and make a small valley between the two pieces. I then fill the valley with Bondo. Once the flats are up I like to use Painters caulk. It's cheap, you can slice right through it with a razor < if you are disassembling in a shop to re-assemble on a stage> and it stays flexible in the short-term making reassembly of pieces easier.

Van, what about the seam when you put 2@4x10 stock flats together?

Like when I'm assembling a wall unit made from smaller flats ? I use Painters caulk most of the time. It's fast cheap and easy. The biggest issues come about when you need to match a texture and the seam is really wide, but if you are a the taping point you most likely don't have you finish texture applied anyway. I've been able, in the past, to run a razor down a seam, transport the flats to the venue, then re-assemble with no noticable seam many times. This works well for theatre. For video/film another treatment onsite is usually required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back