Moveable corner wall

Hi all! I'm going to preface this by saying I didn't have a traditional theatre education and unfortunately didn't get to experience any set design/building classes...

I'm the director of a youth theatre program and we do one big production a year, framed as a class (everyone learns how to audition, gets a role, or learns different crew duties). We had a community member donate their time to build us stage boxes for the kids to stand on as makeshift set pieces a couple of years ago, but due to budget and storage constraints, I've only been able to use projected backdrops. This year, I had a parent volunteer to help build another set piece and a kiddo who really wants to learn about set design, so I've been working on figuring out what would work within our constraints. I have something in mind, but I'm not sure how feasible it is or if I have the design exactly right. Input would be helpful!

What I have in mind is similar to a book flat I think, but not exactly. I'd like a free-standing piece that in my mind is two pieces of lightweight plywood on wheels and connected by hinges, so they can be moved and opened and closed at will. One side would be painted for one backdrop and the other side would be painted as something else. I need to be able to build it for fairly cheap and it needs to be able to fold as flat as possible for storage, durable enough to be moved from the rehearsal venue to the performance venue, also be light enough on wheels that kids (like 8 and up) can learn how to move it. Is this something that's even possible to attempt? Are there designs out there we could use as inspiration? Thank you!!

While I don't a suggestion on a way to do this I will say make sure the centre of gravity is low...really low. This will prevent it from falling over when being set. To give any other advice I would have to see a picture of what you want to achieve.
Geoff

Would periaktoi do it? You can build them to be taken apart and set on a separate base. They’re rock solid (no tipping over), easy to rotate, and you can whip them up with a few sticks of 1x3 and 1/4” plywood. Here’s a thread that talks about it and has some pictures (hat tip to @StradivariusBone).

Also, for materials, you’d be surprised how generous local lumber yards can be, especially when kids are involved. I’ve gotten a few pretty nice material donations in the past from cold calling places in my area. Offer them a shout out in the program, have all the kids sign a nice card to say thank you. Worst you’ll get is a no. Best I got was $600 worth of 1x3, plywood, foam sheets, screws and glue. Pretty much enough for a fall play at my kids school that year.

Good luck, and welcome to the Booth!

Last edited:
Would periaktoi do it? You can build them to be taken apart and set on a separate base. They’re rock solid (no tipping over), easy to rotate, and you can whip them up with a few sticks of 1x3 and 1/4” plywood. Here’s a thread that talks about it and has some pictures (hat tip to @StradivariusBone).

Also, for materials, you’d be surprised how generous local lumber yards can be, especially when kids are involved. I’ve gotten a few pretty nice material donations in the past from cold calling places in my area. Offer them a shout out in the program, have all the kids sign a nice card to say thank you. Worst you’ll get is a no. Best I got was $600 worth of 1x3, plywood, foam sheets, screws and glue. Pretty much enough for a fall play at my kids school that year.

Good luck, and welcome to the Booth!
Unfortunately I don’t think periaktoi would work. We actually apparently used to have something similar to these but they were damaged when our storage space flooded so they had to go. But regardless our new storage space is tight which means I need something more flat.

But thank you for the lumber yard suggestion, I didn’t even think of that!! When we built our boxes, we went Home Depot and described the project, and the older gentleman who helped us lit up and told us about how he used to work in children’s theatre and knew exactly what I meant, and told us all the ways to build them inexpensively but sturdy. It was so nice. So I’ll check out some local resources, thank you!

While I don't a suggestion on a way to do this I will say make sure the centre of gravity is low...really low. This will prevent it from falling over when being set. To give any other advice I would have to see a picture of what you want to achieve.
Geoff
Thanks for the tip! Definitely want to avoid squishing kids with falling sets if possible 😅

This is the design I’m imagining..

71597766462__94BF4F3C-EF4C-4B6E-AB08-29C53B0472AB.jpeg

Thanks for the tip! Definitely want to avoid squishing kids with falling sets if possible 😅

This is the design I’m imagining..

View attachment 24887
The picture is good. What size are we talking about? And having such young people moving things is a bold move as they might have trouble seeing a dangerous situation or may not be able to stop something from happening.
I have also used a local cabinet maker to get materials. We use lots of 3mm mdf here and the cabinet materials comes covered in cover sheets to protect the good stuff. We got them for free cause they were just going to throw them out anyway. They will not be the best quality but they come at the best price. We cut them up, paint them and then after the show dispose of them if they cant be reused (too small or too damaged) I recycle about 90% of materials between shows.
Your flats will need to be about 50mm thick to accommodate the wheels and also have enough materials to screw the hinges to.
The periaktoi mentioned above could work they can store flat if you fold it correctly. Also to construct the final periaktoi pin hinges to make the connection points are a quick and easy way to do this. just align both halves of the hinges and drop an appropriate sized nail with the top bent over for easy removal and you are on your way. all this can be mounted on a base with wheels and they are easy to move and don't fall over as stated.
Keep us updated on your project because we like to see things finished and you could provide some inspiration to others too.
Regards
Geoff

The picture is good. What size are we talking about? And having such young people moving things is a bold move as they might have trouble seeing a dangerous situation or may not be able to stop something from happening.
I have also used a local cabinet maker to get materials. We use lots of 3mm mdf here and the cabinet materials comes covered in cover sheets to protect the good stuff. We got them for free cause they were just going to throw them out anyway. They will not be the best quality but they come at the best price. We cut them up, paint them and then after the show dispose of them if they cant be reused (too small or too damaged) I recycle about 90% of materials between shows.
Your flats will need to be about 50mm thick to accommodate the wheels and also have enough materials to screw the hinges to.
The periaktoi mentioned above could work they can store flat if you fold it correctly. Also to construct the final periaktoi pin hinges to make the connection points are a quick and easy way to do this. just align both halves of the hinges and drop an appropriate sized nail with the top bent over for easy removal and you are on your way. all this can be mounted on a base with wheels and they are easy to move and don't fall over as stated.
Keep us updated on your project because we like to see things finished and you could provide some inspiration to others too.
Regards
Geoff

I’ll do some more research into periaktoi for sure. When I say kids I mean a couple of youngers but mostly tweens and teens who are learning how to handle crew responsibilities, so I’m not so worried about that. I have them practicing with gymnastics mats now just to get used to it.

I’m hoping for something roughly the size of a door on each side - so at least 36in wide side as our largest box is 32in and I want it to extend a bit, and about 80in tall (I have two teens over 6ft!) but I also don’t know how feasible that is.

I’ll game plan with my volunteers and absolutely post my finished product!! Thank you for the advice!

To make these the size of a door the easiest might be to use . . . a door. A hollow core door at your big box store is inexpensive, stable, double-sided and lightweight. A sheet of plywood with no framing is not stable enough.

The problem with your hinging scenario is that if you open or close it the whole way it will fall over. To be stable it would need to remain in it's L-shaped configuration. You could attach a wood brace to lock them in that shape, and remove it to fold for storage.

That said, these are what periakoi are for! 3 hollow core doors, screw them together (or use hinges) and put casters on the bottom. Take them back apart to store flat.

Paging Mr. Aktoi, Mr Perry Aktoi...

Clever use of loose pin hinges, on turntables, folding... The Ancients had this going on. ;)

Another vote for periaktoi. Your design is dangerously unstable unless you lock it in place so that it can't fold. I think the key piece of information you are missing is the concept of theatrical Loose Pin Hinges like these. Simply pull the pins out and it comes apart into 3 flat panels. Easy to build, safe, and not terribly expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back