Mixers/Consoles Feedback problems with dual studiolive firewired.

LouR

A friend of mine is on the road and he is having major feedback problems with his lavalier micriphones. Anyone know anything about the nature of firewireing a pair of studio live consoles together? Anything that could cause mics to feedback on pretty much every EQ band anywhere in the space at all. Have already troubleshot (or troubleshooted?) every single conceviable thing on the mic/reciever/cable end of the spectrum.

Without knowing how things are routed, the gain structure, etc. there are many things that could potentially be related. For example, he could have the mic channels double or triple bused, be adding excessive makeup gain on some processing, be routing a signal back to another channel or bus and so on. This is even more difficult to diagnose with linked StudioLive consoles as there are some options and limitations in how they operate when linked.

What I am still not understanding is that regardless of any of that, if there is not a signal to initiate the feedback loop then there wouldn't be feedback. He's apparently getting feedback with no mics attached to the transmitters, which tells me there is something else generating that signal, either RF interference or even something as simple as a mic on that he's not realizing is on. If you get audio out of a wireless receiver when the transmitter is off or it has no microphone then you likely have an RF problem. I feel that the only way to say with certainty that the wireless are not the problem is if the gain before feedback issues do not change when the receivers are not even connected to the system.

Disconnect the firewire. It is insanely easy to create a feedback loop through a computer. Chances are the windows mixer is sending input to output, which is a no-no.
If the console is connected to a computer then yes, that could happen. However, with the StudioLive the FireWire connectivity can also be used to 'daisy chain' two consoles for a larger input count even if there is no computer involved.

My first guess is digital feedback loop. My second guess is poorly deployed lav mics. My third guess covers both of the previous guess: Operator Error. Can't tell you more without details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back