FHS Auditorium Roof Collapse

AlexDonkle

Happened a little over a year ago but may be of interest here: Roof collapses at Farrington High as storms pummel Oahu - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

No injuries luckily, happened a few hours before an event was scheduled in the auditorium. Old building from the 50's and had a lot of un-permited modifications done over the years by renters (new lighting trusses over the audience near the collapsed beam for one), but eventually it was blamed on insufficient structural design (engineer has long since passed away)

Often, a clogged roof drain can be the cause. A few inches of standing water can add tens of thousands of pounds to a roof. And yes, the structural design is suppose to take that possibility into account. Many years ago, my wife worked at a Kmart where that happened. heavy rain, roof collapsed. It was a drainage problem. In that case, the roof was to code! Yet, it collapsed! No one was injured. Never underestimate nature!

Often, a clogged roof drain can be the cause. A few inches of standing water can add tens of thousands of pounds to a roof. And yes, the structural design is suppose to take that possibility into account. Many years ago, my wife worked at a Kmart where that happened. heavy rain, roof collapsed. It was a drainage problem. In that case, the roof was to code! Yet, it collapsed! No one was injured. Never underestimate nature!

That's a scary thought. Water is heavy, I had to do the math for our space and it's just about a million pounds (assuming the roof was filled to the edges).

Yeah, but snow can build up faaaar beyond the lip of the roof. Snow can be feet deep where as water will be inches deep, just to the lip of the roof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back