Fire Effect

peacefulone61

I am working on a show where they director has though up this great idea of an abstract set. and feel there should be a fire place and fire but wants the fire just to float there in mid air i have been looking and not come up with much in the way of ideas. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem before.

Will there be a set piece on stage to resemble a fireplace? If so, perhaps a flaming gobo may be projected within the hearth with a rotator spinning effects glass or crushed dichroic behind the static flame. If not, some semi-opaque scrim or slightly scuffed Lexan of sorts may be hung on stage to capture a projected flaming effect-

:think:

Vacuum form the fire(logs or coal or whatever) in clear plastic. Dye it orange and red a yellow. Paint the recesses flat black. Cut slots in the recesses and attach torn pieces of silk dyed in the same yellow orange red as the plastic. Use lights and a fan beneath the plastic to create a startling fire effect.

this is probably a different approach than you were looking at but if you search on the AM DJ Enferno, the silk flame with the fans and mr16 lamps is a very realistic flame effect and costs about 200 dollars

Sharyn

I am working on a show where they director has though up this great idea of an abstract set. and feel there should be a fire place and fire but wants the fire just to float there in mid air i have been looking and not come up with much in the way of ideas. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem before.

So the fire is off the stage then, i take it? you might try building a fire unit out of lexan, and using one of the above mentioned ADJ effects on that, or the vacu-formed logs. Alternatively, you could hang it with some black painted 1/8" aircraft cables from a batten, but that would require someone who knew how to hook all that up (and a batten).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back