Fireman's pole

Hello all.

I know there was a post a while ago about a fireman's pole, but my situation is a little different. One of our 4 touring shows this year will have a scaffolding set. There has to be a fireman's pole that goes from the second level of the scaffolding, to the floor. I'm going to wait till I am able to set up the scaffolding to make sure I get the correct height. So my questions are:

Should I just buy a fireman pole from like a swing set, or a nightclub supply store. I think I want it to be like an upside down J, and screw the top int the top of the scaffolding.

My other issue is that I cannot screw or attach this into the deck. This show is touring, and that is not at option. I'm thinking a pipe and base base that it attaches to, and then bolt the top to the platform of the scaffolding. The other issue is that the scaffolding plank doesn't really attach to the frame, but just sit there. We have used this stuff before and sort of became a problem, that it would loosen up and shake. But it's meant to do that. It's not meant to be in a theatre, but touring with it will be pretty cool.

I wouldn't be comfortable that a pipe-and-base base is enough to be stable. An 80 lbs boom base might be OK. Even better would be something that ties back into the structure that's also supporting the top, so you know the top and bottom can't move relative to each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back