Flag flying half staff at University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople

jtweigandt

88 years old Prof. Peter Schickele. Passed away.. Much more to the man than I knew him for. Maybe someone here crossed paths?

I remember having a P.D.Q. Bach album when I was a kid. My family also attended a P.D.Q. Bach concert at the Seattle Symphony, where Schickele performed. For those that don't know, Peter Schickele mixed humor and classical music together by claiming to have discovered the music of the fictional, long lost son of the Bach family, "the youngest and the oddest of the twenty-odd children" of J.S. Bach. Schickele had to be a good composer and musician to do what he did and a skilled comedian as well. It was very funny stuff and probably did a lot for the appreciation and fundraising for classical music.
Peter Schickele

I also attended a live Schickele performance, probably 30 years ago. He entered the stage by swinging from a rope, leaping from the balcony. The rest of the show was equally charming!

Of the recordings, I still like play-by-play color commentary (like sports announcers) for the Beethoven 5th, and the PDQ Bach compositions like "Hansel and Grettle and Ted and Alice: An Opera In One Unnatural Act" or "Concerto for Two Unfriendly Groups of Instruments."

IIRC he also composed music for movies and TV, as well as non-PDQ orchestral works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back