Flame proofing

Yet another one from me :p as a side project I have a blank space I am turning into a black box space using curtains, as it is used for other classes as well, but primarily drama. I am using curtains to do this with velcro strips to "seal" the space when needed. My query is does anyone have a recommendation for a flame proofing spray they have used, and how much I'd need to coat 2 curtains at (wall lengths not curtain lengths) 9m and 2 at 12m, all 2.4m high

I've always used Rosco's Flamex. You would just need to get the SF or the NF depending on what the fabric the curtains are. I've seen other brands in spray bottles, but I don't like those as much considering you can put the flamex in your own hudson sprayer or bottle to apply. A gallon of NF will cover 500 sq feet (46.4 sq meters) . Each variety will give you the coverage you need to know.

http://www.rosco.com/scenic/flamex.cfm

Remember there is no such thing as flame "proof" it's only flame resistant. A do it yourself sprayed fabric is even less resistant than you think. So you will need to retreat this fabric on a regular basis. I'm not sure how often, check with Rosco about that.

It would be much better for you to find a little extra money in your budget to purchase either a professionally treated or an inherently flame retardant fabric. Rosco Flamex isn't cheap, especially if it has to be reapplied every year or so. Before you spend your money on this project try calling Rose Brand or your local dealer to find out what they would charge. You may find that it won't cost THAT much more to get something which is either professionally treated or inherently flame retardant. It would also make your fire marshall much happier.

Especially on a new install. It won't cost THAT much more, especially when you figure in the cost in materials and time of respraying every year or two.

At the moment we're still trying to squeeze a budget out the headmaster for this seeing as our departmental budget is miniscule this year (spent 3x the usual budget the year before I started for a school's run of We Will Rock You) but I have been looking at naturally or treated flame resistant fabrics. I know theres no such thing as proof, and I forget I'm talking to others in the industry now raher than the local "cattle" who don't understand what I mean half the time. Gaff, do you know of any similar companies to Rose Brand that are UK based? I have searched and searched but no luck, and the two local theatres got their blacks from a now bust local retailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back