Floor options for small theatre space

Hello,

My drama room (which is a small theatre space), currently has many challenges, but the one I will ask about here is flooring. One part of the room is raised stage (40"), and the rest is open space. I currently have thin and worn industrial carpet (school is 12 years old now and will not replace this stuff. It is up to me and my limited arts budget). The issue with the carpet has always been tracking in dirt. Kids have always taken their shoes off, but there are other events that happen in here, and wheelchairs that come in from outside, etc.

My thinking is that maybe a Harlequin floor would be the best way to go. I have major acoustical challenges in the space with cinder block everywhere (buying some portable curtains currently, and will be mounting some echotouch panels on the walls as well).

Harlequin is not quick to respond with a quote and I can't find their pricing anywhere. Because I have sub-concrete floors with tile laid directly on top, I am always worried about impact and damage to joints. I think having a floor that is semi-sprung, rollable, and also durable would be the best way to go in here.

Most roll-out floors I've seen do not seem to provide spring...they are mostly just for surface - is this correct?

The Harlequin Allegro is the thickest roll-out floor available, but is it stupid expensive? Are there any other semi-sprung alternatives?

Thanks for thoughts and advice (and pricing, if possible)

Melissa

Best thing to do is call them. Emails sometimes don't always get an answer.

A quick google search came up with this. Now these are Rosco Prices

IMG_2853.PNG

This gives you a comparison of hardwood sprung
IMG_2854.PNG

Seems H doesn't offer s whole lot of info about their Allegro line. But here's a 6 min video from Rosco.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The echotouch look like an overpriced product. Hard to get much more absorption per dollar than stage curtains. Medium to heavy weight velour or similar, ought to be able to easily exhale through it - like velour. If its less porous it won't work as well. 100% fullness or double layer separated by several inches, and several inches off the wall. And best to cover two adjacent walls, not opposites. And if you can't cover whole walls, you'll get more bang (or less actually) out of working from the corners out.

You won't get a truly resilient floor from just vinyl and foam that rolls up, as you suspect. You have to spread the compression of a foot fall over a larger area, thus a hard top surface with "spring" under it. Even Harlequin is careful to distinguish between surfaces and floors, and doesn't offer "floor" that rolls, just surfaces. So to answer your question, no, there are is not "a floor that is semi-sprung, rollable, and also durable".

Maybe you can afford to replace it but one of the nice things about a built up floor if done well, it will last for a very long time. Both Rosco and Harlequin offer a modular portable floor, which still needs a surface. If you can leave it permanent, the Harlequin "Activity" might be the lowest cost purchased "floor" with floor and surface in one. You can probably build one a permanent sprung floor for less or much less than you can buy a complete system and have it installed.

You do have my sympathy and best wishes for aspiring to the best in what sounds like a desperate situation with poor planning initially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back