Food Props

emac

Sorry if this is something that had been discussed before, but in my quick search on my mobile device..

I am working on a show where I need a ham. A ham wrapped in plastic as if you just bought it, it never needs to get eaten just seen. The show is being preformed in a thrust black box, so the 5' file does apply.

Now I will be looking around in Seattle to see if anyone has one that I can borrow, ideas anybody? And I know I could buy one online. (though I would rather not rely on holiday shipping)

But aside. From that I just wanted to hear how people would build this, if it comes to that.

My ideas are, aqua resin, paper mache or foam and caulk. But I think the big issue for me is the painting process

Any ideas???

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

I would think the quick inexpensive bet would be to get some extruded polystyrene foam board and caulk as you said. Shape to size (i use sawz-all, shaver and heat gun) It might be good to cut deep notches into the top for that cross hatch look of cooked ham. Layer with muslin/glue water(push muslin down into that crosshatch), give it a kick but paint job and clear coat the crap out of it for glazed look. Should look great from 10ft away and not take very long at that.

Well, forgive me if this sounds dumb, but this is what I would do.

I would just go buy a real ham.

I don't know how long your show is running, and how long your ham has to be out on stage, and so on. If lifespan of the ham is an issue, how about freezing it? Just take it out before the show, and put it back in afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back