Give us advice: if implemented, you can get acknowledgement in a prime exhibition in Qatar.

The idea is a steel structure that is cut into the shape of an animal; in the middle of the structure, there is a colored acrylic sheet; the idea is to have light (sunlight or artificial) pass through so that a colored shape of this animal is projected into the ground! The structure stands vertical on a concrete base. The structure is 1 meter wide; and 3 meters tall ; approximately. What advice or ideas do you have for us to improve this artwork?

1608220951300.png

First thought get a gobo cut of the exact animal you decide to have on the steel. Stick a Source 4 inside the structure focus it accordingly and you have an image. @Kelite

Wouldn't it be a little more interesting to be able to change the color of the shadow periodically instead of having the acrylic sheet stay the same color all the time? Maybe set the steel plates farther apart and put a giant
gel scroller inside?

My understanding from your drawings is that the cross section of this is a thin panel and the faces are weathered steel. So the main structure is steel sheet with the acrylic only being exposed where that manatee shape is cut out of the steel? and the acrylic is just there to color the image projected on the ground?

You could align the panels to the sun like a sundial, but it might also be more effective and reliable to project an image separate from your panels to create the illusion you want without actually relying on the sun making it work the way you'd like.

My understanding from your drawings is that the cross section of this is a thin panel and the faces are weathered steel. So the main structure is steel sheet with the acrylic only being exposed where that manatee shape is cut out of the steel? and the acrylic is just there to color the image projected on the ground?

You could align the panels to the sun like a sundial, but it might also be more effective and reliable to project an image separate from your panels to create the illusion you want without actually relying on the sun making it work the way you'd like.
I also thought of this after a while. Cut out some circles in the steel in random places then project whatever you want from those holes giving the illusion of the main cut out.

Does projecting the image work in the sun or in a shaded area in the morning?

Will this work outdoors at night or does it need a more dark place? Can it work outdoors in the morning but in a shaded area?
Yes this will work outdoors at night. Yes this will work in a shaded area however the image will be less obviously because it’s day time.

How can we implement this idea? Is it affordable/simple?
If this is for the Qatar Museums, you might want to also see who they have contacts with to help you get this exhibition built.

Does projecting the image work in the sun or in a shaded area in the morning?
In full sun, probably not. Depends on how bright your projection source is and if you can use the shadow created by panels. But not likely in full noonday sun.

I also thought of this after a while. Cut out some circles in the steel in random places then project whatever you want from those holes giving the illusion of the main cut out.
I would think it would have to be NOT a part of the panel, there's no room to put anything inside the panel. There's no measurement on the side view but given that we know its a meter wide, the thickness looks to only be 3 or 4 inches.

In full sun, probably not. Depends on how bright your projection source is and if you can use the shadow created by panels. But not likely in full noonday sun.

I would think it would have to be NOT a part of the panel, there's no room to put anything inside the panel. There's no measurement on the side view but given that we know its a meter wide, the thickness looks to only be 3 or 4 inches.

you are completely correct. I read it as a box. Didn’t event notice the side view.

Seems to me that this is a project that you just need to build a model and experiment. A sheet of plywood, cut a hole in it. Experiment with different types of colored glass and plastic material at different times of day.

Apollo Design would be a good company to talk to as they do a lot of unique custom design work for theme parks, trade shows, museums, etc.. They know all about lighting, gel, dichroic and colored glass, and plastics. @Kelite works there and he will respond soon I'm sure.

What if the structure was hollow with lights in side of it. At night it could be lit up internally with LED's that change colors. The pictures below are from a bridge in my city for people to walk over a busy street. It is steel maybe 5 or 6 inches thick and has led lights on the inside. It's programed to slowly change colors.
shoreline-night-walkway-1920.jpg
12 Blue Bridge a WP.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back