Hello All

whistler

I'm an undergrad student at the Evergreen State College, Olympia, WA. I'm most interested in Sound Design and have been doing the design and op for a local community theater since last summer. I've been designing and mixing in educational environments for a few years longer than that and I've been making music since I was a little kid. I also do carpentry and basic electricians' work at some other theaters and the roadhouse in town.

I'm currently in the process of trying to turn the scene shop at Evergreen into something that more closely resembles a technical theater program so I'm looking for thoughts about curriculum and better ways to teach the information that people are mostly getting in little bits when they really need it for a particular show. Aside from two paid staff everyone in the shop are student workers who are paid/get credit with a really wide skill-range. There's been a lot of turn over in the staff over the last five years or so and it's finally becoming apparent that some sort of structure and educational process is really necessary to avoid overworking the staff and one or two students that know how to build/weld/hang lights/run sound/paint/etc. Right at the moment we are focusing on developing a basic intro to carpentry concept because our costumer counterparts will be joining us in the shop to expand their own skills somewhat.

And I tend to type too much, sorry...

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back