Hello all.

DHight

I'm new to this forum I suppose, though at one time I did ask for and receive technical advice from the members of ControlBooth. Up until about a year and a half ago I managed a high school auditorium. We produced our own theatrical and musical performances, and also rented the venue out to others. It was really a fluke that I found myself working with performing arts professionals. I hired on as a janitor, but the administration realizing that I had at least a moderate amount of basic intelligence instructed me to learn all aspects of assisting with rehearsals and performances. It was a good deal for them, as they billed the place as providing an in-house lighting tech and sound engineer. It was a bit tough on me though, as when professional dance companies, musicians, and such rented the venue out, they found the manager, lighting tech, sound engineer, stage hands, and janitor were all one and the same person. After twelve years of serving in that capacity though, I did become quite proficient at my job and I want to thank the people here for helping me along the way.
It was a wonderful time, all of our fine arts directors were very dedicated professionals and produced excellent shows. We became well known as a little town with a passion for the arts, which inspired professional performers from surrounding cities to perform at our venue. We were always busy. Unfortunately, our high school administrators instituted a series of severe budget cuts for the fine arts departments, which made it extremely difficult for our directors to keep producing the shows they were known for. Our directors found other locales that were more appreciative of their talents, other artists ceased to rent out our venue, and I eventually moved on too.
I developed a huge respect for the people I worked with, who wee so passionate and dedicated to the arts, and thoroughly enjoyed helping them in any way that I good. I currently am working a couple of jobs unrelated to the arts in an attempt to save enough money to develop my own distributorship for arts related sound equipment. I've seen too many directors bust their butts to obtain the funds for sound equipment, only to have unscrupulous distributors sell them equipment that didn't fit their needs and worked poorly at its intended purpose.
So, I thank you all for your assistance in the past, and I hope to enjoy more tech-based conversatios in the future. David Hight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back