Wireless Help Troubleshooting

MarshallPope

My church has two identical older wireless receivers that we use for the lavs. Our pastor's [I'll use "P" for this] has had a noticeable buzz around 8-16k Hz for a couple of weeks. I finally got around to looking at it today. I suspected a ground loop but did some quick metering and didn't see anything out of the unusual. The buzz occurred whenever the P channel was unmuted, whether or not the transmitter was turned on. The music minister's ["M"] did not have a buzz, but a slight "woosh." I'm not really worried about it, as it isn't noticeable unless you are listening for it. These are plugged in to the same power strip, along with the amps, but in a different part of the room as the console. I have no idea if they are on the same circuit or not. While trying to troubleshoot, I first swapped P & M on the back of the console. The buzz traveled with P and the woosh with M. I then switched the cables at the receivers. The woosh traveled with M, but the buzz disappeared. I also switched the power cords on the receivers, with no difference. Any idea why that combination of xlr and receiver would result in a buzz while the cable could be used with an identical receiver without a buzz? It works now, but I would like to know -why- it works so I can fix it right.

Thanks
Marshall

One of these cables is not like the other one . . .
can you guess which one ?

could you tell us what recievers these are as it would help greatly to know the make of them. shure encounters diffrent problems than audiotechnica.

I could have sworn that I typed that they are Shures. Oh well. What confuses me the most is that cable only causes the problem on that receiver, not the other one.

I agree that some of the electronics may be failing given their age. Also, as far as the buzz goes, it is possible you may have "cleaned" the connector inside the unit when you were swapping cables around. As far the whoosh, again could be failing electronics, or slight RF interference.

It sounds like you are on the right track in terms of trouble shooting. Without know more specifics, that all I can offer for now. Best of luck.

Yep, sounds like you're well on the way to solving this - the best advice I can give is start at one end, not in the middle, and change one thing at a time until you find the problem... and always remember to cross-plug to double check... (of which it seem's you've done all)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back