Hiring Lighting Designer/Assistant TD - Full Time - Austin TX, Where should I post?

So I need to hire a lighting designer for a full time position here in Austin, TX. Shoreline Church. You can find out more about us at shoreline.net and vimeo.com/shorelineatx
I have a full job description I'll try to post below. Where else should I post this? I contacted all the regional universities as well as a couple church jobs places. Any other ideas? Looking for someone with both education and experience but still fairly new. We have a pretty decent rig, all new vipers and 101s as well as an Jands L5 as our main console. 4800 seat venue. Definitely up the food chain as churches go.
Thanks guys,
Jon Gray
TD
Shoreline Church
Austin, TX

View attachment LD Job Desc.pdf
Lighting Designer/Assistant Technical Director Job Posting
Shoreline Church in Austin, Texas is looking to fill a position for a Lighting Designer and Assistant Technical Director. Shoreline is a large church with state of the art gear and a rocking modern worship style. Our tour style lighting rig has over 60 LEDs and movers, mostly Martin and High End. Our Jands Vista L5 console is an incredibly fast lighting console with loads of playbacks and almost unlimited possibilities. The new Martin Viper, a ridiculously fast bright moving head, fills out our rig and is the artillery in our 4800-seat auditorium. Over 256 channels of dimming and well over a hundred conventional lekos and fresnels light our stage for broadcast. A recent remodel has expanded the possibilities of our stage and cleaned out the decades old rigging in favor of a tour style (truss and motors) rig. The new design allows us to relight and reset faster and easier than ever before. Most of what we do at Shoreline is cutting edge worship akin to Hillsong, Church on the Move, Northpoint, and others. Several times in the last year we have hosted tours of all sizes as well as community special events.
The position is both lighting and assistant technical director. The right candidate will have experience in both of these areas. The position includes a variety of audio, video, staging, and lighting tasks due to the broad spectrum of tasks assigned to the department. The candidate needs to have experience in at least two of the areas, however the majority of time spent with tour quality lighting programming and networking.
Experiences should include: Some Bachelors in Audio, Media, Theater, Communications, or similar degree track
Experience on various hardware, software, and systems. (Yamaha, Digico, Jands, Propresenter, Evertz, Ross, Crestron, Martin, High End, ETC, Apple, ELO, Shure, etc...)
Experience with correct rigging techniques, cable termination (CatV, XLR, BNC, DIN)
Experience working with pipe structures, theater construction techniques, general hand and power tool usage, and building/constructing with stage decks.
Shoreline is an active spirit filled interdenominational church which ministers to tens of thousands each year. Check out our website at Shoreline.net and Vimeo.com/ShorelineATX The technical and production ministry at Shoreline makes that possible, however this position also includes ministry that happens within the teams. Loving on people, sharing God's love, praying with people, and doing life together with them. This ministry aspect of the position lends itself to someone who has been working in a ministry previously, but tour only candidates will not be discounted.
The ideal candidate will be a fast thinker who can troubleshoot on the fly as well as plan long-term improvements and systems design. CAD experience would be a bonus and any visualization and lighting design experience is a plus.
Shoreline has a great benefits package, retirement, and paid time off. Submit portfolio resume and references to [email protected]. You will hear back if we are interested in adding you as a potential candidate at which time you will have to full out a full application packet.

Position Description
Lighting Designer / Asst. Technical Director
Leads Lighting programmer
Assists TD in the design and execution of stage design and rigging
Maintains lighting rig including motors, rigging hardware, conventional/LED/motion fixtures, truss, cabling, network, consoles, etc...
Takes the lead on various project management tasks related to AVL.
Occasionally assists with audio or IT as needed and directed by TD.
Liaison and Mentor/Pastor to Lighting Volunteers

Re: Hiring Lighting Designer/Assistant TD - Full Time - Austin TX, Where should I po

I wish I lived closer. Sounds like a perfect job for me. :)

You might consider posting to offstagejobs.com

It's popular for theaters and schools, but I've seen many churches on there too.

Good luck!!

Re: Hiring Lighting Designer/Assistant TD - Full Time - Austin TX, Where should I po

Taking applications over controlbooth? J/K

I check Churchjobs.com all the time, but most are very vague in the job description. Most likely you need to get someone to relocate, and not very many people are willing to relocate on a 6 sentence job description with no pay scale or expected schedule.

Another thing to consider is that to work for a church, you should believe in the mission of that church. Anybody will work to build widgets for company A, and if Company A decides to build worfles instead, you don't care. If a church changes it mission that is a whole other story.

Working for a church is a whole different breed of animal. It is the toughest job you will love and hate at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back