How do you update your resumé?

What method do you use to decide what productions you remove from your resumé?

• I take off the oldest production.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I take off smaller sized shows.

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • I take off shows where I wasn't in a position closely related to my specialization.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I remove the one I have the least amount of supporting materials for.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Other, please explain below.

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

erosing

The Royal Renaissance Man
Premium Member
After the amount of resumé threads, I was wondering how everyone goes about updating their resumés, since there is only so much you can fit on one page. Do you bump of productions in chronological order (oldest gets taken off), do you take off shows that were smaller, shows you didn't have as big a role in, do you pick ones you don't have as much paperwork/drawings/photos/other supporting materials, or do you have another method?

I find myself filling a lot of different roles because at many times I seem to be the only person who knows how to do things, so I keep a 'master resume' with everything on it, then I cut it down to whatever is most applicable to whatever I need the resume for at that moment. It's rather time consuming, but I'd rather keep everything there so I don't forget it.

I'm at the position now where I don't list individual shows but instead list seasons of employment.

I don't really care about chronological order or shows. I try to keep things older then 5 years off my resume. As far as what to keep on, anything you did in HS is the first to leave, college stuff is the second to leave. Anything education related should be gone ASAP. After that, I change my resume' every time I send it out depending on the job I am applying for. I jockey things around to make the best resume' for that job. Some jobs that I would put first for one job I don't include for another.

Being i'm still younger in the industry then many of the folks on the boards. I still use college shows of which i played very prominent roles or important roles that i was very proud of the turn out and hte result of my work and the production. That said If i list shows on resumes, i make sure they are shows i for some reason are the most proud of, accomplished something unusual, and/or had favorable reviews. If you managed to pull of something simply amazing with sound lights or scenery but the show got hammered reviews for everything else (with no special mention of the amazing show job you did) it doesn't help your cuase. That said it makes for a good thing to bring up in an interview about how you can do great things and work well despite the quality of the rest of the production or other artistic challenges.

Regarding HS, as a college grad now and working for 4 years, I have lighted high school shows that haven been very good. I would not include high school shows for which you where still in high school for unless it's all you have to pull experience from.

Because of my limited experience still I pull from the work i've done in the past 4 years and the several college production of which I had a major hand and were particularly proud of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back