How much would you give/ what would you sell it for?

leistico

I've got an interesting problem to solve. We inherited (got donated) a rack of dimmers about five years ago. They were working and online until such time as they were taken apart, put in boxes, and toted over to the back room of our theatre, where they have sat, undisturbed, unused, for five years. The decision's been made, as our little community theatre has come up short in coming up with the $$$ to get a separate feed run to our building (all the way from the pole) to power the rack, to sell the whole thing and reclaim storage space and use the proceeds to fix our sound system.

It's a Colortran i96, fully loaded, modules, stuff I haven't personally unpacked or patched into or operated (right now we're using a bunch of Lepercon 6-channel tree-mount packs for our theatrical lighting). As far as I know (I'm not the TD or the guy who picked it up), it's fully installation-ready and operational. The rack's empty, the modules are in boxes, and there's a few cobwebs strewn about but otherwise nothing that would indicate there are any issues.

I tried looking on Ebay and a few other places for ideas on pricing. Thoughts? Thanks.

As with all pre-owned items, it's worth exactly what you can get some sucker on eBay to pay.

Not that he's an expert or anything ;), but, when questioned regarding the value of a 12x2.4k portable dimmer pack, Mr. Terry postulated:
400 bucks sounds right to me. That's $33.33 per dimmed circuit--about the right number for an item of this age and quality.

ST
Based on that, ~$3200 for yours. Yours being newer and DMX, should be worth somewhat more, although install racks are less valuable than portable. A deal for someone perhaps, but lack of factory warranty and shipping charges are not in your favor. Any way you could make a deal with a nearby community theatre or school?

Also, check all vendors at Sources for Used Equipment - ControlBooth to see if they have something comparable. Here is a listing for a 48x2.4 rack, offered for $2780.

I'm pretty sure the installation manual for the iSeries is still on Leviton's site (I linked to it within the past year or two); should help you to determine if all the parts are there and be an aid to your buyer.

Last edited:
We have an i96 and i48 rack. Both were installed about ten years ago and have always worked flawlessly. I don't generally care for Leviton/Colortran stuff (had to use an Innovator too long!), but these have served us well. Install manual was available on Leviton's site recently, though it is hard to find! The only trouble you might run into is that the software to program the controller in the rack seems to be dealer-only, or at least I could not find it on the Web. I think you can probably do basic programming with the rack's handheld remote/terminal assuming that you have one. Still, that could be a problem for a potential buyer.

We have 2 iSeries dimmer racks in our building, and Leviton still fully supports that equipment. I called them up a couple months ago, and they gave me the phone number of a local tech who has all the necessary knowledge and gear to install, service and program the racks. I imagine they could do the same for you or your buyer.

Where are you located?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back