How Not to Construct Scenery: Planning Ahead

jglodeklights

So I recently took over as Production Manager & Technical Director at a small theater in Philadelphia. One of my first tasks in regards to being the TD is striking the set, which normally occurs in December but was promised to our November rental by the person previously in my position.

As I've started tearing apart the scenery, I've run into quite a few issues preventing me from making it a quick strike:

1. Instead of filling joints between flats with joint compound over which the Jaxsan texture could be applied, thus allowing the flats to be broken apart easily, he filled the joints with Jaxsan. Some were even taped, and others had fabrics that were polyurethaned to the flats over Jaxsan. Also, he screwed some of these flats together from the facing, which was then covered in paint and Jaxsan.

2. Instead of planning the scenery in a way that didn't create walls behind stationary walls, most of the set is comprised of groups of 3 walls within 4 inches of each other.

3. The platforms at 3' 6" high are legged with 2x10. :evil:

4. The trap with lid at 3' 6" high slash drainage area for the water curtain was first framed out with screws that were driven in at angles one can't get a drill/driver in once the 1/2" ply sheathing was put in place. Said plywood was installed with wide crown staples, glue, caulk and Jaxsan. The staples are at 2 inch intervals, much like the rest of the facing for the set.

5. The trap area was installed after the bottom of the faux pro. Guess where the screws for that are. Yep, behind the the sheathing of the trap.

This is exactly how we are supposed to build a set, right? :neutral: I've been mostly cutting it apart with a borrowed Sawzall, and having to schlep my own drivers from another venue my tools are currently at because he also "borrowed" almost all the tools the theater owns except a table saw and air powered staplers. Argh.

I hope that, of the screws he did use, he managed to use a random mix of phillips, robertson, and torx heads. Gotta keep you on your toes!

Nah, he would have used straight blade too. That way they strip out real easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back