HR 2911 PROTECTS WIRELESS BANDS

ruinexplorer

Sherpa
CB Mods
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
Rep. Bobby Rush (D-IL) has introduced the Wireless Microphone Users Interference Protection Act of 2013, which would create two "safe haven" channels for wireless mics and otherwise attempt to shield them from interference. The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) is backing the bill that would help protect wireless microphones in an FCC-repacked spectrum world. According to NAB President Gordon Smith, who wrote to Rush, "Without safe haven protections for these operations, broadcasters may not be able to provide on-the-scene coverage of breaking news, emergency information and political events…." He also said available spectrum is likely to become more congested in the future and called Rush's bill an important step toward trying to safeguard licensed mic use.
Shure Inc. President/CEO Sandy LaMantia praised Rep. Rush's efforts in helping to protect wireless microphone users, including houses of worship, government facilities, schools and universities, convention centers, theaters and live entertainment venues, and stadiums, from the loss of available spectrum.
HR 2911 would require that wireless mics have access to the TV band databases the FCC created to try and ensure that unlicensed wireless devices operating in the "white spaces" in broadcast spectrum do not interfere with licensed services, such as TV stations.
From Sound and Communications Newsletter

This is a great idea, I do hope it goes through, but what does "access to TV band databases" mean? Would I have to replace all the wireless I just upgraded in the last few years due to the 700 ban? I'm in for about $10,000 already, and I will probably be chastised by the boss if my past recommendations are suddenly negated' and we have to do it again. I'm hoping there is some grandfather clause or manual way to accomplish this "access"?

I wrote my representatives. You should too! We will definitely continue to loose frequencies if we don't get some sort of protection put into place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back