I need help with Gobo Break up patterns and Equipment

Hello Everyone.

I'm pretty new here and I'm hoping to learn from everyone. I've been doing uplighting for a year now and I'm now moving to more lighting concepts for my wedding clients.

I need help with what gobo projector to invest in. I currently have one LFS-75DMX. I want to be able to project 4 Gobo Break up Patterns on the dance floor like the one attached. Do I invest in more LFS-75? or invest in the Source ETC for such. I''m really new to this, so any advice will help.

Attachments

• 2015-08-03 16.38.17.png
    2015-08-03 16.38.17.png
    584 KB · Views: 280
Off hand I would say build your inventory of 75DMX to meet your needs. To project on the floor you will also need to have some way of getting the fixtures above the floor. Hopefully the venues will have a position available. If not You will need to look for additional ground support to get the angles you need. How does the 75DMX look without gobos? Is it suitable for use as front light? If not you may wish to consider a fixture that can serve other tasks, when you do not need gobos.

invest in the Source ETC for such
Just to clarify for you. ETC makes the Source 4 line of fixtures. There are Source 4 pars and fresnels and LED's (and attachments) and the S4 ellipsoidal which is probably what you mean as that since it can do gobo's. Typically if you say a source 4 people will assume you mean the ERS unless you specify a source 4 PAR (or one of the other fixtures). The ERS comes in multiple degrees depending on the distance and size you're looking for....

this explanation is probably clear as mud, its been a long day. I'd agree with venuetech it sounds like you're probably fine staying away from something that big and should stick with similar to what you already have.

Thanks John and Tom. Yes, I meant the ETC Source 4 750 Watt Ellipsoidal Spotlight. I see these a lot at my events and was wandering if I would be missing something by getting 4 LFS-75 instead of 4 Source 4's. I'm thinking maybe it's easier to get the gobo patterns made for the Source 4's than the LFS-75.

Thanks John and Tom. Yes, I meant the ETC Source 4 750 Watt Ellipsoidal Spotlight. I see these a lot at my events and was wandering if I would be missing something by getting 4 LFS-75 instead of 4 Source 4's. I'm thinking maybe it's easier to get the gobo patterns made for the Source 4's than the LFS-75.

It could be easier to get gobos, since they should have standard gobos in an A, B, or M size just sitting on the shelf. It will be a trade off though. The source 4 will be brighter, especially lamped at 750 watts, it can also be lamped down to 575 watts, or 375 watts. Some of the downsides will be size, it will be bigger and heavier, something to consider when your hauling your gear all over the place. It also won't be able to strobe or change colors on the fly like the light that you currently have does. You'll be stuck with whatever color of gel you stick in it for the night. That's another downside, you'll have to buy and keep gel in stock for whatever colors you choose to go with. If you want to be able to change colors with a bigger more powerful fixture then you'll be look at something like an LEDAltman Phoenix, or LED source 4. The price goes up into the $1400-$2400 range for something like that though. So if your fine with only one color, but brighter then I would look at something like the ETC source 4 jr zoom. It can only be lamped up to 575 watts, but should still be plenty bright enough, the wide zoom range will help you size the gobos to best fill the dance floor area, and they are smaller and lighter than a regular source 4. If you need the brightness and to change colors then it might end up being more worthwhile to look into buying some mid range moving lights. The price would be similar to what you would spend on an LED ellipsoidal and would be a lot more versatile.

The source 4 750w or 575w ERS will give you lots of bang, and is a fantastic multi-use fixture, very useful. I'd actually look at the full product line if I were you, as there are also source 4 LED gobo projectors that are small, light and easy to stick in places. Very useful for events. Having a somewhat diverse inventory may help in my eyes for the type of events you are doing.
I agree that the source 4 jr zoom would also be a nice asset for wedding lighting.
The full-size source-4 LED fixtures are likely out of your price range at this point.

Ultimately, all of these options incur additional cost beyond the unit price. Its up to you to decide how far you feel comfortable going. Source Fours are GREAT to have for weddings and I'd buy two even if you decide to stay with the gobo projectors you are comfortable with, because Cake-light always makes people happy, and the shutters in the Source Four let you shape the light (to a degree) around objects and people. If you want to try stuff out call the manufacturers or other lighting/sound/video/etc companies you know and ask for demos!

Forget the LFS75 and rethink Source 4's. Think instead of gobo projection via a video projector. Video projectors can be as bright as a S4 offer built in keystone correction. Color or animation doesn't cost more. Slide shows can't be done with a S4.

Here's a picture sent to me from one of my clients of a shoot out they did.
proxy.php

I've always heard people argue that the lamps cost a lot of money on a projector. But, for someone doing weddings, the cost of custom gobos adds up to be a lot over time vs. the free images you can create with the projector. I'd think that you could easily save money with the projector.

Keep in mind lighting is all relative - if you are projecting these things in full daylight, or bright ambient surroundings, you will need a powerful fixture to be visible among the surrounding light. In the case of wedding receptions, a smaller fixture is generally appropriate where you are cutting through darkness or dimness most of the time anyway.

That projector idea is a good one for custom work!

Projector lamp cost is minimal.

The replacement cost for the SX914 is $ 499 and is rated for 2000 hours. Therefore it costs the user $ .25 per hour of operation. To look at it differently, a 2000 hour lamp will give you 400 five hour wedding receptions. If you're charging $ 250 per wedding, your return is $ 100,000 which makes the replacement cost moot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back