I wanna learn networking for lighting

I took the CompTIA A+ and more recently Network+ exams when I was in the midst of a career change. While it's not directed at entertainment style networking, a lot of the basics (as has been stated) cover a lot of what goes on in modern lighting networks. If you're looking for a primer into this stuff, studying the A+ and Network+ material might be a good place to start even if you aren't interested in actually taking the test. The curriculum is solid on concepts and mostly vendor neutral in terms of Windows, OSX, Linux, etc.

@MNicolai Well as for "don't put your network cables there." Although that sounds like a great, and smart, if not a little snarky answer. It's not reality. Go put up a mobile stage in a NASCAR parking lot. The barricade is where your cables go. This is not a theater install, we are talking a 1 day or 1 weekend show. I have had good success using RSTP, while I have never actually lost a connection in a snake run, in testing, after breaking a link, the network would heal in just a few seconds. Not perfect, but faster than I can react and change some snake lines. Path-port does it seamlessly If you spend a little more on their very nice products. Yes there are a bunch of other things to consider when setting up managed switches for lighting; It can go bad easily if you don't know what you are doing.

Sometime I just hookup 2 network lines to the switch in dimmer beach, if I loose the link just swap it at the cables at the console. Its not an online backup, but I always have some backup. Same with having extra 5-pin lines.

As Far as getting more complicated, and introducing VLans etc. I was not saying it should be done often, but that there are application, and learning about them, even if you never use it, is still something a lot of people in the industry are interested in doing. People cannot come to their own conclusion about whether its a good idea or not, If they don't have a pretty good understanding of the pros and cons.

@Footer, Tru dat! On switches failing. A professional network switch, even a cheaper one should be the most reliable piece of gear in your lighting system, from console to fixture. Don't use consumer switches, even spending $2-300 on a prosumer Ubiquity switch, will be a decent choice. There are also plenty of offering that have dual power supplies, Put on eon straight power and the other on a UPS. Sure there are always "acts of god," but in normal use, I won't worry about a quality switch being a single point of failure.

ETC has an online training site that has a networking basics class. It does cost $20 but it is a good place to start for someone who is new to coordinated networking setups. Most networks I work on are basic systems with 1 switch, and all devices setup with static IP addresses.

Hi Chris,

thank you very much for sharing this diagram.

I was wondering why you output V676 from your consoles, but convert it to artnet later on. This seems to be added complexity, you are using six (seven with spare) Supernodes to do this conversion. Is there an added benefit for doing this conversion instead of distributing a V676 signal directly to the final Supernodes (the ones currently in S400 Mode)

I saw a suggestion that a big network might have 5ms latency. How Big? I get to another city 300km away and back in 5ms. No show LAN could possibly get that laggy.

One reason to avoid more complex gear is the overheads required to configure/operate the switches correctly. Eg, having legacy spanning tree turned on can change a brief glitch into a half minute outage. A switch too dumb to do anything but switch will be foolproof as long as it is used in simple situations.

I was a CCIE for ten years, so I'm comfortable doing crazy/complex/niche stuff on switches for myself, but I know that leaving a complex config with people who don't understand it is setting a booby-trap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back