Applicants, at least 17 years of age as of December 31, 2011,
desiring to take the test must appear in person to register at
the Union office located at 320 W. 46th St., 1st fl. (between
8th & 9th Aves.) on one of the following dates: Monday, August
13; Tuesday, August 14; Wednesday, August 15; or Friday, August
17 between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to register for
the test.

All applicants must bring a recent photo, approximately 2x 2,
and a state or government I.D. (Drivers License, Passport, Etc.)
and a registration fee of $250 either as a certified check or
money order made out to The Local One T.E.T. Fund. A cash
payment is also acceptable. NO PERSONAL CHECKS WILL BE
ACCEPTED.

THE TEST WILL BE GIVEN TO THE FIRST 300 APPLICANTS TO REGISTER
WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, CREED, NATIONAL ORIGIN, RELIGION
OR SEX.

A test-taker earning one of the top forty (40) scores will be
placed as a candidate on the Unions Apprenticeship List.

For further information, please call IATSE Local One at
212-333-2500.

And my local will take anyone who walks in the door. Jeez.

Haha. I was the youngest in mine if that means anything. So they practically let in anyone.

Im taking the exam in September..
Registering on Monday
will the exam cover all the knowledge areas the journeyman exam covers?
I would imagine it would not be as 'deep' or more about basic union, general info but I am just assuming.
Anyone here willing to fill me in?

- Art

I showed up at the union hall yesterday morning and signed up to take the test. It was crazy how many people were there. Apparently the people at the front of the line had been waiting there since 3 or 4am. I got there at 10:15 (just after it opened), and I'm pretty sure I was around #275 to put my name in - and they only take the first 300. They had to send a ton of people in the back of the line home because they knew they weren't even close. Anyway - now just gotta wait for September 8.

I showed up at the union hall yesterday morning and signed up to take the test. It was crazy how many people were there. Apparently the people at the front of the line had been waiting there since 3 or 4am. I got there at 10:15 (just after it opened), and I'm pretty sure I was around #275 to put my name in - and they only take the first 300. They had to send a ton of people in the back of the line home because they knew they weren't even close. Anyway - now just gotta wait for September 8.
Good luck buddy!

Actually, my fiance and I got there on Thursday expecting to see a line already. We checked back every 12 hours but nobody was lined up. We ended up coming back on Sunday early in the morning and just stayed there. There were a few people in front of us who got there on Saturday night.

IATSE Local 1 Exam - What to expect?

I'll be taking the exam for the IATSE Local 1 Apprenticeship on September 8th.

Has anyone taken this exam before? I'm wondering if you can bring calculators or scrap paper for the math sections. Any advice about the exam would be helpful. I've studied 3 mechanical aptitude and spatial relations books cover to cover, and I'm feeling pretty confident in general. IATSE doesn't provide any information about the format of the exam, and it seems like most of the people at the office are on vacation so I haven't been able to inquire by phone.

Thank you!

Re: IATSE Local 1 Exam - What to expect?

... I'm wondering if you can bring calculators or scrap paper for the math sections. ...
No direct knowledge, but based on similar exams*:
Yes; if a non-programmable calculator.
No; scratch paper will be provided if desired.
Of course it's best to call and ask in advance, so as to have no surprises on the day of testing.

*From the ETCP Candidate handbook.pdf, p. 18:
Calculator
Calculations may be required on some examination
questions. Only silent, non-programmable
calculators without paper-tape printing
capability are permitted during testing.
Calculators will be checked for conformance
with this regulation before candidates are
allowed admission to the Assessment Center.

IATSE Test Results

How did everyone on here do? Any forum members make it? I was thankfully on the list, #30, but sadly no one else from my program at City Tech (New York City College of Technology) made it this year, so far to my knowledge.

Re: IATSE Test Results

How did everyone on here do? Any forum members make it? I was thankfully on the list, #30, but sadly no one else from my program at City Tech (New York City College of Technology) made it this year, so far to my knowledge.

I made the list at #21. Congratulations Kenien and to everyone else who made it in. Anyone else care to share?

I made the list at #21. Congratulations Kenien and to everyone else who made it in. Anyone else care to share?

Wow !. That's terrific Michael and Kenien.

Any time frame on a call up ?. A month ?, 2 years ?.

Any time frame on a call up ?. A month ?, 2 years ?.

Nothing official, but definitely more like two years. I have a number of friends who've gone through the program, and a couple who took the test in 2009. From what I hear, they're around the mid-30s from the 2009 test, so it'll likely be a few months before they even start on the 2012 list. Sadly, there's just not as many apprenticeships available as there used to be.

Ah, you're the gentleman who's at ithica, you know my kid Sam Scholegel.

I know this is an old thread but i figured it wouldnt hurt to ask. Does anyone know when the next IATSE Local 1 exam is?
Thanks

Whenever they feel like giving one. Could be a few years. They have to run out of candidates on their current list first.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back