Inexpensive Motorized Boat

KBlasius

Hey folks,

Looking to build a small row boat, two persons max, that is self-propelled. I've been searching these forums and the web and have stumbled across a few suitable options, but they all seem to be geared towards larger scenic pieces rather than a small unit.

I have little mechanical or engineering background, but I understand the basics and am willing to learn. Through research, I've begun to think that it might be possible to drive two stationary wheels with a motor (this is where I need help - what sort of motor do I need? How can I connect it to an axle?) and use a pivoting front wheel (or wheels) that are not driven, and create a rear-wheel drive setup.

I'm looking to do this on the inexpensive side, I've seen a few folks use old corded drills hooked up to a pulley and drive belt that drives one wheel, and this setup was powered off a car battery.

Any thoughts, or hints, on where I might be able to start with this project?

I appreciate any help anyone has to offer!

You might have a look around your community for RC car clubs or robotics clubs.

What's inexpensive to you? I've built a boat out of a hoverround wheelchair.

Hey folks,

Looking to build a small row boat, two persons max, that is self-propelled. I've been searching these forums and the web and have stumbled across a few suitable options, but they all seem to be geared towards larger scenic pieces rather than a small unit.

I have little mechanical or engineering background, but I understand the basics and am willing to learn. Through research, I've begun to think that it might be possible to drive two stationary wheels with a motor (this is where I need help - what sort of motor do I need? How can I connect it to an axle?) and use a pivoting front wheel (or wheels) that are not driven, and create a rear-wheel drive setup.

I'm looking to do this on the inexpensive side, I've seen a few folks use old corded drills hooked up to a pulley and drive belt that drives one wheel, and this setup was powered off a car battery.

@KBlasius Battery powered golf carts are coming to mind.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Depending on the size of the boat and your budget, I would think a earl simple way to do this would be to buy a kids electric scooter, tear out the useful bits (motor, axle, batteries, throttle/speed controller) and then build it into your boat.

I have done this exact thing. I used 2 old wheel chair motors and gearboxes and then uses a radio controlled twin motor controller to make this happen.
Some things to consider are limit switches so that if it gets close to the edge of the stage then it will stop before going over the edge and an emergency stop for the occupants in case they don't feel safe while it is under control. It was the most stressful time driving theses things around on stage but for an amateur company it was a great effect. I used sabretooth controllers. These can be controlled by a radio control, Microprocessor or analogue input. Not cheep but worth every cent. for short duration you can power them with a LiPo battery which is small and has a high output and also quick to charge (I can do it under 30min). Of course the cheepness of your build depends on if you can find motors at a good price. The Motor controllers cost me $200AUD but the motors only cost $30 ea.
I am not sure if I have any video if this but it works well.
Regards
Crispy

Last edited:
How about a furniture dolly and fishing line painted black? The newer fishing lines can be very thin for their strength. Better yet, kevlar painted black. I think there's even more advanced material than kevlar now. I've seen a magician levitate a kid and everybody was amazed.

Hey folks,

Where about in MI are you located? Im in South Central WI. We built a wheel chair powered boat for Phantom and have been looking to get rid of it. PM me if you'er interested and I can take a picture of it when Im at the school tonight.

I built the Row Boat for "Jack Goes Boating" from a Hover-round style wheelchair I found on Craigslist for $50. The wheels were mounted just fore of the center seat. the battery packs and brain lived under the rear seat. I mounted the Joystick just inside the gunnel on the rear seat so the lady playing jacks girlfriend could appear to be gripping the seat in terror, while in actuality she was doing the driving while he "rowed". Getting two Very small, rubber, swivel casters mounted to the bottom of the boat at the rear so that is was only 1/2" off the floor was a challenge but it worked.

, I would think a earl simple way to do this would be to buy a kids electric scooter
That was my first thought as well. A power wheel will have the motor controller, gearbox and electric motors that all run off a 12v source. You could even easily wire in an E-Stop for added safety. There's a considerable homebrew community of Power Wheelers who upgrade these things so getting the necessary torque shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm thinking an off-the-shelf model might not have enough power to move something stagecraft built, but with a little digging you might find a souped up solution.

That was my first thought as well. A power wheel will have the motor controller, gearbox and electric motors that all run off a 12v source. You could even easily wire in an E-Stop for added safety. There's a considerable homebrew community of Power Wheelers who upgrade these things so getting the necessary torque shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm thinking an off-the-shelf model might not have enough power to move something stagecraft built, but with a little digging you might find a souped up solution.
The issue I ran into with the "power wheels" option was the noise from the gear boxes. That's why I opted for the High end wheelchair gear motors and controller. Oh and the variable speed options on the wheelchair controller, not just directional from the Joystick but the little pot that allows you to control top speed. You can also get a programmer that allows you to reprogram the 'brain' to adjust acceleration curves and battery usage... That's a little above most companies budgets, and needs, however.

Last edited:
Large power projectorscreen motors are geared low and run fairly quiet like the dalite in the black box. Can use a car inverted to put on a car battery. When I build one I used a single front wheel and a single back wheel. Two side wheels, one on each side, spring loaded to allow the boat to rock.

I don't think the batery drill motor will run that much weight as the start up torque of 300 lbs load is a lot. (you do the math)

If I did it again, I would track down electric wheel chair. Not sure where you are, but I know someone who may still have the boat he build with a wheel chair. PM me if you still need this. Im 30 miles west of Chicago.

Attachments

• 20170917_110801.jpg
    20170917_110801.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: Van
I like the suggestions of the electric wheel chair. I think I will take a look into what's available locally and perhaps try to modify that to fit? In the experiences of those who've done similar, is it a complicated matter to remove the seat and fit the drive assembly and battery into a scenic piece, and relocate the location of the joystick?

I like the suggestions of the electric wheel chair. I think I will take a look into what's available locally and perhaps try to modify that to fit? In the experiences of those who've done similar, is it a complicated matter to remove the seat and fit the drive assembly and battery into a scenic piece, and relocate the location of the joystick?
No, it's stupid easy! the joystick is, usually mounted to a 1/2" tube from the armrest, two screws and it's loose. The Controller/charger has modular plugs for the Batteries, joystick, power and motor outputs, as well as an input plug for an external programmer ( though those sometimes plug into a port on the joystick assembly).
The motors can sometimes be a pain in that you often have to remove the wheels to get to the mounting bolts but later models have usually, very accessible mounts.

surprised no one has mentioned this: You cannot drive 2 wheels on one axle unless you include a differential in the drive train. This is always a bigger pain than anyone wants to deal with so save yourself the agony and only drive one wheel, however you decide to go about it. Or go the electric wheelchair route and use two motors.

Obligatory story:
In college we built a little boat, just like yours. 3 wheels, two in the back to drive and one up front to steer. One axle across the back with a chain sprocket to connect to the motor. So simple it was too good to be true. Head carp hooked up the battery and drove down stage. nearing the edge, he took a hard right on the steering lever and....kept going straight...off the stage. Maybe with a higher coefficient of friction on the steering wheel (more weight, but we all want stuff light, don't we?), one of the two synchronous drive wheels could have slipped and you could steel the thing, but wasn't so in this case.

I have found a video of my prototype for proof of concept. It has 2 independent motor/gearboxes and the final product used a sabretooth 2x30A motor controller it will carry at least 150kg. during the show I used a 12v car battery because I needed to power an inverter for a small smoke machine but I can also power it by a LiPo battery.
I used a RC controller to drive it. https://youtu.be/GXFkiwBTVWM
Regards
Crispy

Cool, crispy!

Here's a video of a VERY early test of a driving bed we made years ago. We put the drive wheel directly on the motor, and put both on the bottom of a "rudder" for steering. Two rigid and two swivel casters actually took the load of the unit. Our drive wheel raised and lowered pneumatically, because sometimes the unit was pushed by hand.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have found a video of my prototype for proof of concept. It has 2 independent motor/gearboxes and the final product used a sabretooth 2x30A motor controller it will carry at least 150kg. during the show I used a 12v car battery because I needed to power an inverter for a small smoke machine but I can also power it by a LiPo battery.
I used a RC controller to drive it. https://youtu.be/GXFkiwBTVWM
Regards
Crispy

I know this is a couple years old now but the drive system that you have on your video is exactly what I'm looking for. It appears to be modular enough to be able to attach to nearly anything.
I'm pretty new to automation and trying to wrap my head around the details of motors and gearboxes and controllers. I can't seem to figure out where to look to figure this all out with regard to an application such as this. Do you have any details what materials were used in your prototype?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back