Design Large Scale Frost Effect

djnotloc

Hey guys I'm new here and searched for a couple hours before posting this so I hope there isn't one exactly like it. But the local show choir asked me to come up with all the lighting/effect details of this year's set. On two 8' x 5' sections I want to do a large scale frost effect, so the material or whatever I use will glow real well with color but wont show any hot spots because I plan on lighting it strait-on and not at an angle. Ive found suggestions elsewhere about using different materials instead of frosted plexiglass, as its expensive, and I was wondering what you all think would work best.
Thanks

Taking a walk through a home store should produce some good ideas. You should be able to find things from different frosted materials to film that can be applied to clear plexi. I assume there will be no one standing in front of it since you said you were lighting it directly.

No the light and material will be about 10' in the air. And I know you can do it with plexiglass, i actually just built a facade for djing out of it. But I was asking if other materials, like spandex, would work without having a hot spot.

So to clear things up, you are lighting a 8' x 5' rectangle from behind with a single source? So, you want to know what material to use to make this rectangle so that it is transparent enough to light up (and evenly) but opaque enough that you won't see the source?

Well, I have made light boxes before with some heavy weight muslin. It depends on the look you are going for. A lit up muslin rectangle is going to look much different than a lit up frosted Plexi. With such a large surface area it may be difficult to find the balance between a light source bright enough to get the intensity you are looking for while still being able to hide the hot spot. I would suggest trying to light from an angle using multiple less intense sources. If the bottom of your target is 10' in the air, I would try putting the source somewhere between 8' to 10' and aim it up so that the audience (assuming they are sitting below) will not be in line of sight. Or, using a lot small sources will mean that each one will not need to be as bright and therefore make the hot spots much easier to hide.

Some thoughts,
-Tim

Yes that is exactly what I want. And I didnt really think about it but I could easy use more than one source if thats what it would take. The sources are actually pretty weak so using multiple would probably be better anyways. Im looking for a warm look that can still produce brilliant color quality, so would that be muslin?
thanks,
Colton

Im looking for a warm look that can still produce brilliant color quality, so would that be muslin?

Are you just using one color or are we talking about changing colors? If you're changing colors, how? If it is a scroller then mulitple sources means multiple scrollers. If LED or some sort of dichroic filter set-up then getting multiple units will really start to add up $$. Or is it a projection surface?

Since you are going for a warm look, a fabric might work quite nicely for you. Muslin is one way to go and it's relatively cheap. Derek also mentioned some other possibilities. It might depend on budget. Maybe a bed sheet would work? However, when you start talking about unintended uses for products you need to be careful. Be wary of safety issues like fireproofing the fabric.

-Tim

Frost cloth could also work for you - any big hardware or garden store will sell it. It's inexpensive, takes light well and can be fireproofed; I've seen it used several times on sets and it's always been effective.

I would be re-using some mini led pars that we have left from last year. I went out and got a little Muslin as well and white and frost shower curtains. So at some point this week Ill get them all set up and do a side-by-side with the choir director. And Ive never heard of frost cloth...Ill have to check it out.

You can do it pretty cheap if you get some thick rolls of plastic at the big box hardware store found in the doors and windows section. I'm not talking the kind of shrink rap plastic that you use with a hair dryer, but it's found in the same section. Ballpark price of a roll is around $30. Then look for some frosted privacy film in the window covering section. Hint: There might be a similar product under the cabinet and drawer liners much cheaper! the privacy rolls cost around $30 a roll where as the drawer liner will cost you around $5!

Put the two together for a fraction of the cost of plexi. I did this for some outside storm windows I made, I do live in Minnesota after all.

Kenneth Pogin
Production/ Tour Manager
Minnesota Ballet

So I went and sampled the white shower curtain and the muslin on the stage with intense frontlight on them...not a good result. The front light almost completely washed away my effect. So, Im thinking maybe a more translucent material is needed...any suggestions?

So I went and sampled the white shower curtain and the muslin on the stage with intense frontlight on them...not a good result. The front light almost completely washed away my effect. So, Im thinking maybe a more translucent material is needed...any suggestions?

Wait, are you front lighting or back lighting? I'm confused.

-Tim

Sorry, Im backlighting but when I put the units up on stage the front lights washed out all the color.
Are you focusing lights directly at it? I would think with at 10' off the deck you would be able to focus around it. You are going to have to keep as much front light off of it as possible in order for it to work. No matter what material it is made out of.

-Tim

No Im not focusing directly at it. I took a frosted plexiglass piece I had for private use and that showed up a lot better than the white material. So Im thinkin thats just what Ill have to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back