LD Needed

Good afternoon!

A client of mine is seeking a full-time lighting designer/director. (This is a paid position.)

This client is a Christian church in the Detroit area. This church has multiple services each weekend, hosts several special events though-out the year, and mounts one or two fairly major productions each year.

The services are pretty casual in feel, are musically contemporary, and frequently include dramatic elements - and the lighting needs to follow suit, but still be broadcast-appropriate.

Primarily, the LD will be responsible for programming the lighting, maintaining the system, and leading and training teams of volunteers.

If you or someone you know might be interested, have him/her send an e-mail to [email protected] to get more information.

Regards -

Aww, I saw your location before I read the description! I got excited thinking I might have found a nice little side gig in nashvegas!

I'm going to keep this short as I am on my phone at the moment but I'm very interested in this. Worked as assistant technical director in a church for a while and loved it! Would u like me to email u a resume?

Im sorry Derek i guess the issue is i see this as a very casual place and in this current world replacing you with u in a casual setting is completely acceptable. Also i knew i was just talking to a fellow cb member and not a future employer. Though you could argue that his opinion of my grammar in this settings could reflect in his comments about me to the client. Also when i am on the go and replying to a thread i pay very little attention to grammar(a fault i admit). Just saying a private message would in my opinion be a much better way of telling some hey might want to watch your grammar. Anyway i wrote more about this then i meant to. Know you meant well but didn't come across so pleasant.

His post indicates he is posting for a client, and says "send an e-mail to [email protected] to get more information." You will probably want to start there.

~Dave

Thanks Dave! I must have missed that when viewing from my phone(didn't scroll down).

I apologize for any hurt feelings, lomahongva. The truth is, since the rest of your post was grammatically correct, your using "u" for "you" stuck out even more, and seemed incongruous. Saving four keystrokes is not worth it, in my opinion, even for those who are on a phone.

Best of luck in your job search.

Im sorry Derek i guess the issue is i see this as a very casual place and in this current world replacing you with u in a casual setting is completely acceptable.

It should never be acceptable to lend yourself to such laziness. It makes you look irrisponsible and juevinile to many people. Do it with your close personsal friends, if you must. Not anyone else, and certainly not anyone you hope to have a working relationship with. To note, my father often writes his texts and emails like this, I don't respond to them because of it.

Also i knew i was just talking to a fellow cb member and not a future employer. Though you could argue that his opinion of my grammar in this settings could reflect in his comments about me to the client.

I can argue whatever I would like, you sir, are correct. But even I won't make the case, at the moment, that nearly everythig you will do, and have already done, will at some point have an effect your job.

Also when i am on the go and replying to a thread i pay very little attention to grammar(a fault i admit).

There is a significant difference between exchanging "you" and "u," and exchanging "dusregard" and "disregaurd" or "what" and "wat" (or similar). The latter is an honest mistake, the first is pure disregard (see what I did there). Look at this post and I'm sure you'll find a number of, more tollerable mistakes.

Just saying a private message would in my opinion be a much better way of telling some hey might want to watch your grammar.

Clearly, you need to take a look at the grammer thread again, or for the first time, if you didn't already. This is an ongoing discussion. Writing correctly, or as correctly as possible, promotes the ability for more people to understand your post. It also makes more people likely to respond.

By the way, for someone who believes Derek should have sent a PM to you about this matter, you probably shouldn't have scolded him for it in public. Derek was just trying to help you in your journey through this magical forum. Calling him out publically when you felt he matter should be private makes you look bad (edited for content).

Anyway i wrote more about this then i meant to. Know you meant well but didn't come across so pleasant.

Churches often don't come across as pleasant, but you want a job at one. Perhaps you should look at a members posts before responding to the nature you feel was intended. Because had you, you would have known that a light, meaningful, sarcastic comment of Dereks is much better than some comments you'll recieve from some of our other members.

Finally, see that line of text at he bottom of my post, add similar to your mobile posts and we won't jump on you as much over mobile posting grammer (unless u keep spellin lk this).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Holy cow did you do all of that from your iPhone? lol How long did that take you.

Maybe 5 minutes. Plus 1 or two when I edited it at a real computer.

FYI, per their website "Becoming a member of NorthRidge Church is required for employment."

Membership | Northridge Church

Do you know which one of their locations it would be at? Just curious.

~Dave

This is surprising that they are allowed to do this. Under the Civil Rights laws, I believee that this practice is illegal due to religious discrimination (not hiring someone for their beliefs which would preclude them from becoming a member). Under the Qualifications for Participating Membership, it discriminates any technicians who are of many faiths, including other Christians. They may want to reconsider this stance if they want to keep out of legal trouble.

As for the grammer discussion, could we please leave that as be for the rest of this topic. The user has been advised and as such hopefully in the future he will follow with the advice, so lets leave it at that.

On-Topic - It seems wrong that the church would require you to be a member to work there and I do believe that is against your rights. That's one of the things I don't like with dealing with churches, if you don't follow their views then you can't (for the most part) work for them. As such I instantly wouldn't want to work at such a place per the requirement that you "need" to become a member regardless of what my beliefs are. Perhaps there should be some further clarification on this matter by the OP.

Me again...

As to the question of requiring membership I'd have to defer to the church as to their policy...and to legal experts as to that end of things.

As a person who works with several churches in a professional role - and one who has served in different roles in my home church, this requirement doesn't strike me as all that odd. Yes, this is a technical and/or artistic role. At the same time, a church LD is also a leader in the church, having influence as he/she leads volunteers. Church LDs are also often involved in worship service planning and, therefore, have a part in formulating and communicating the message of the church. So...more than maintaining equipment and programming consoles. Just my perspective...

Me again...

As to the question of requiring membership I'd have to defer to the church as to their policy...and to legal experts as to that end of things.

As a person who works with several churches in a professional role - and one who has served in different roles in my home church, this requirement doesn't strike me as all that odd. Yes, this is a technical and/or artistic role. At the same time, a church LD is also a leader in the church, having influence as he/she leads volunteers. Church LDs are also often involved in worship service planning and, therefore, have a part in formulating and communicating the message of the church. So...more than maintaining equipment and programming consoles. Just my perspective...

But at the same time it is illegal for them to discriminate in this sence, Equal oportunity comes to mind here. They will not hire you based solely on your refusal to join their church and become part of their religion as a non-religious person myself, I find this very offensive in terms of free will thinking. Yes you have quite a say over the worship service as far as lighting goes but if you are a true professional which is what i am guessing they are wanting you will be able to offer them the best with what they have even if you were anti-christian. Since you are helping them as far as posting the add i would suggest helping them notice that what they state in their job description is quite illegal in the states.

But at the same time it is illegal for them to discriminate in this sence, Equal oportunity comes to mind here. They will not hire you based solely on your refusal to join their church and become part of their religion as a non-religious person myself, I find this very offensive in terms of free will thinking. Yes you have quite a say over the worship service as far as lighting goes but if you are a true professional which is what i am guessing they are wanting you will be able to offer them the best with what they have even if you were anti-christian. Since you are helping them as far as posting the add i would suggest helping them notice that what they state in their job description is quite illegal in the states.

Are you a lawyer? I'm not, but, I should caution you to referencing what is illegal or not. This is an issue that could have miles of loopholes running through it. Here is a similar issue: the presidency has an age requirement, is that not descriminatory?

Maybe it's better to think about it like this: you wouldn't hire a Rabbi to preach as a Catholic priest, just the same as a Temle wouln't hire a pastor.

Perhaps, they are allowed to use the practice in an experience sort of way? As to them sharing the faith meansyou know it, much the same a doctor understands his practice due to medical school.

Not that I'm for it, just saying.

I'm sure they think they've found a loophole but unless recently religious people had superior knowledge over light design due to god. it's discriminatory. Especially in this day and age when everyone is so religious split if this was ever challenged I'm willing to bet the courts would air on the side of the non-religious person. It'd be like you coming to work for my production company and me telling you religious people need not to apply. I've had this also happen on film sets where they'll look down upon you during the staffing process because you're not religious.

My view on it is as long as you're not touting your anti-religious views, you're not there to cause issues, you do a great job, and are a good person what does it matter what your religious views are?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back