LED Moving Heads

The only thread I saw on this was dated.

I'm interviewing for a tech gig at a school with a 250 seat theater. I'd love to be able to discuss upgrading the lights with two moving head fixtures (spot or hybrid) eith motorized focus, preferably with a rotating gobo. I'd love something that has a good wash feature as well. Basically I am looking for something like a Best Boy, but I am brand new to lighting. I'm a sound guy who has run and programmed lights and have complete confidence in my ability to use the thing, but I don't know brands or price points. It's primary function would be theater and the occasional TED Talk.

I've been frantically trying to jam as much knowledge in my head as I can before this interview, but since I don't have the job yet I don't want to call and make inquiries. I'd just like some basic advice on what are some solid fixtures and what they generally run.

The place is currently running an ETC Element with LED washes and fresnels behind the teaser and nothing but parcans on the two foh rails. (With two very old followspots that never get touched).

I wish I could say more, but not having the gig yet I can't be more specific.

Did they specifically ask you to make upgrade suggestions at a job interview? If not, I wouldn't advise going into the interview and telling them about things you think they should buy or upgrade. If they did, that is a different story.

Did they specifically ask you to make upgrade suggestions at a job interview? If not, I wouldn't advise going into the interview and telling them about things you think they should buy or upgrade. If they did, that is a different story.
They wanted to hear my vision for upgrades. They've been working on getting into the 21st century. I have a design degree and a background in sound. I can easily get this place up to date, but I don't know my lighting fixtures beyond consumer grade Chauvet or ADJ.

I would go a step up for theatrical lighting. The new Chauvet Maverick MK1/MK2 Spots are fantastic and offer color mixing. You don't want to be limited to a color wheel for theatrical moving lights. They would both be bright enough for this application, but the MK2 gets wider - so if you're only using 2 fixtures you might want the wider zoom. LEDs can absolutely compete with arc source fixtures, especially for spaces of this size. I've got a bunch of the Chauvet Professional stuff and it's great gear.

I second going for Chauvet equipment, If their School Budget is anything like ours, that's going to be the best bang for your buck, without getting into aliexpress imports that will probably HCF months / a year down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back