Legging Platforms

We're building a 6' extension for our stage out of 4x6 platforms. The height varies from 24" (SR half) to 40" high (SL half). How many legs should I use per platform?

Any other general advice would be greatly appreciated too.

What are you constructing them with? 2x4 frame? Steel tube? How much weight will they need to support? What is the reason for the height variation? Is it due to the slope of the house floor, or are you making the deck raked?

In general terms, without knowing the answers the aforementioned questions, I would suggest 6 legs for each platform. But there are other methods you may wish to peruse like using a stud wall technique instead (do a search, there has been recent posts about it). Make sure you bolt the legs to the frame, not screw them. And be sure to use proper cross-bracing.

~Dave

The platforms are made out of 2x4 frames. The two heights are to represent two different locations. There will be kids on them (middle school aged).

First off welcome to Controlbooth! I don't want to be a grouchy old guy, but the search function is a very useful tool to get to know around here. There are very few questions that have not already been discussed. Feel free to reply in an old thread and resurrect it for further discussion on your specific needs.

This thread has my answer with lots of pictures as well as a pretty full discussion of my system and others.

Last edited:
Generally four legs are enough, with cross bracing. If they are dancing, running or jumping then go with six. I second the carrage bolts, not screws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back