lighting design programs?

KaR356i

I saw a thread on here, and now can't seem to find it.... Someone mentioned a free design program I think? I'm just looking for something simple that will give the crew a visual plot to look at because I'll be in meetings the day they hang it. It doesn't have to generate the instrument schedules, I can do that on my own if necessary. I can dig out my light stencil and draw it, but won't if I don't have to :)

5 electrics, 4 FOH positions, 3 booms on each side of the stage...pretty basic :)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

soundlight

I think that you can get a free trial copy of Microlux Lite. It takes an hour or two sitting down with it to really figure it out, but it's free.

Van

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
SketchUp is a fantasic program, but at this time it is definatly not a Lighting program. It's great for rendering and modeling, but it simply doesn't havewhat is necessary for lighting design. I send them emails every once in a while and beg themto develope more theatre oriented material, but I don't think they plan on it ever turning into a " real" cad program. I do suggest that any student who hasn't any expirience with 3d cad programs go download the free version. It's easy, the tutorials are great, and it gives you a great look into the world of 3D modeling.

kari Check on tucows.com they have a great section of freeware and shareware where you might find some VW compatible or Acad compatible viewer/ editor.

Users who are viewing this thread