The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

lighting design programs?

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by KaR356i, Mar 20, 2007.

1. KaR356i

KaR356i Member

I saw a thread on here, and now can't seem to find it.... Someone mentioned a free design program I think? I'm just looking for something simple that will give the crew a visual plot to look at because I'll be in meetings the day they hang it. It doesn't have to generate the instrument schedules, I can do that on my own if necessary. I can dig out my light stencil and draw it, but won't if I don't have to :)

5 electrics, 4 FOH positions, 3 booms on each side of the stage...pretty basic :)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. jfitzpat

jfitzpat Member

Someone recently mentioned sketchup (www.sketchup.com) which is a free 3D CAD program.

There are actually a bunch of 2D and 3D freeware and lite offerings, of varying quality and capability. You can find a good cross section here:

http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cad.htm

-jjf

3. soundlight

soundlight Well-Known Member

I think that you can get a free trial copy of Microlux Lite. It takes an hour or two sitting down with it to really figure it out, but it's free.

4. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    SketchUp is a fantasic program, but at this time it is definatly not a Lighting program. It's great for rendering and modeling, but it simply doesn't havewhat is necessary for lighting design. I send them emails every once in a while and beg themto develope more theatre oriented material, but I don't think they plan on it ever turning into a " real" cad program. I do suggest that any student who hasn't any expirience with 3d cad programs go download the free version. It's easy, the tutorials are great, and it gives you a great look into the world of 3D modeling.

kari Check on tucows.com they have a great section of freeware and shareware where you might find some VW compatible or Acad compatible viewer/ editor.