Looking for a color scientist

Hi all,

I'm looking for help in understanding how consoles send out color information from a color picker especially to fixtures with other diodes than just RGB. I understand there's a pretty basic conversion from the hue wheel or color chart such as CIE XY 1931 to RGB but what about RGBW or RGBA or RGBAW fixtures? How do those diodes factor into the equation?

Fixture manufacturers (at least the good ones) work on color rendering accuracy and consistency like it's the cure for cancer.

Consoles sometimes spit out "best-guess" from a color wheel. The better consoles have color calibrated data for fixtures so that when you dial up R99, you get as close as possible out of a specific model of fixture to what you'd get out of a tungsten fixture with R99 in the gel slot. Carallon is one of these development/programming labs that provides a subscription service for manufacturers to incorporate into their consoles. My understanding of this process is that fixtures are provided to Carallon, they do color analysis, and then provide a translation between a standardized color environment and what the fixture can actually render. Here's their brochure for that service, which companies like Pharos, ETC, MA Lighting, etc subscribe to.

In terms of the actual color science involved, there are a bunch of videos floating around about the different emitter configurations and how they render colors differently.

Effect of the Lime emitter
Selador Series Demystified: Closeup of the X7 Color System
Selador Desire: Complex Color Modes
Selador Series Demystified: Fire & Ice
Rob Gerlach x7 Talk

The general science summed up though is that you need color in your light sources in order to see color. LED's tend to be a very narrow wavelength so you see true red, true green, and true blue, but all of the other colors in between are underrepresented in comparison. So with an RGB emitter array "white" looks very sickly. An RGBW or RGBA softens that effect by giving you a somewhat cleaner and brighter white without really offering better individual colors in between. That's where you start to get into the more diverse emitter arrays that have indigo, deep blue, orange, lime, cyan, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back