Maintenance of ETC Net3 system

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone else running ETC Net3 has any tips and tricks for general maintenance of the system. I'm going to replace the battery backup and decided it would be good to service any other parts of the system that are serviceable. I've noticed that the fans seems to always be on, so something needs to be cleaned to start. Also, how long are the network switches that have been installed with the system generally good for? I haven't had any issues with mine, but they were installed in 2010 and wondering if replacing them should be happening sometime soon for the sake of reliability.

Thanks always for the insight.

First, I would pick a day to turn the whole system off. Make sure you have a few days before an event before you do this. That way if there is an issue when you turn it back on there is time to fix it. It’s good to give the system a reset once a year.

All that infrastructure should be good indefinitely unless you start seeing issues. If that is the case contact a theatrical lighting contractor to asses the state of the system, they can provide solutions.

Switches should be good for... a while. Depending on how money works in your facility and how many you have, I'd either plan on replacing them all at once (14 years is a decent amount of time, and they're all going to require configuring--might as well do it all at once while it's in your head), or at least have a new spare ready and configured to swap in when one fails, and do rolling replacements that way.

I'm not sure what fans specifically you're talking about running all the time, are you talking about the dimmer racks?

Switches should be good for... a while. Depending on how money works in your facility and how many you have, I'd either plan on replacing them all at once (14 years is a decent amount of time, and they're all going to require configuring--might as well do it all at once while it's in your head), or at least have a new spare ready and configured to swap in when one fails, and do rolling replacements that way.

I'm not sure what fans specifically you're talking about running all the time, are you talking about the dimmer racks?

Might be a UPS fan. Mine ran 24/7.

@OP. I would be replacing the UPS battery. The switches, in theory, have a shelf life, but they tend to be low maintenance and I would not fix/replace anything that seems to not be causing trouble. I kept a spare in the back of the rack as a just in case, in 10 years, never needed it. I like Dan’s idea to power down a few days prior to needing it. Theres really nothing on the cabling needing attention unless it’s stuff that gets unplugged and repatched repeatedly, then I might install new cables. If it all just stays put, then let it stay put.

I've recently heard of 2 systems going down due to failed UPS. Congrats on planning ahead!

Before anything, I would make sure that ALL the configurations are written down, backed up, and sent to ETC. Then I'd call those real experts and ask them about it.

Do you have correct diagrams of the wiring?

I'd also allow for a week of downtime. Rush shipping gets really expensive. Exact replacements won't exist, so there will be unintended changes to deal with. You're dealing with mission critical systems!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back