Manual flying rigs rule

What Rigger?

I'm so fly....I Neverland.
It's hard for automation to have heart and soul. Manual rigs uber alles!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sympathetic but ignoring expense I'd suggest that some productions - like Cirque's KA - would not be possible without automation.

One of the many reasons we love this thing called theatre.......

That's wonderful. I have to say, though, what in h--- is going on with that cyc's bottom hem?!

I am sympathetic but ignoring expense I'd suggest that some productions - like Cirque's KA - would not be possible without automation.

Bill, absolutely not hatin' on automation. Far from it, I am a frequent and habitual user of a rather large automation rig that I am not allowed to talk about.

But I just think there's something to be said for this kind of thing where the operator has to be as involved in the performance as the actor or dancer (whether that operator is seen or not.)

:grin:

Bill, absolutely not hatin' on automation. Far from it, I am a frequent and habitual user of a rather large automation rig that I am not allowed to talk about.

But I just think there's something to be said for this kind of thing where the operator has to be as involved in the performance as the actor or dancer (whether that operator is seen or not.)

:grin:

So is John (the guy in the video) a flying rig operator with enough artistic sensibility to pull off the choreography or a performer with enough technical acumen to operate the flying rig?

So is John (the guy in the video) a flying rig operator with enough artistic sensibility to pull off the choreography or a performer with enough technical acumen to operate the flying rig?

Most good flyman are both. ZFX hired one of my former classmates as one of their producers. She graduated with musical theater degree and now flys people for a living.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Side note, I thought my wife would like this video so I watched it with her. Earned me some good husband points.

I shared the link with some Dads who were the fly crew on our kids' school production of Peter Pan. The report back is that their wives all cried at how beautiful it was.

I shared the link with some Dads who were the fly crew on our kids' school production of Peter Pan. The report back is that their wives all cried at how beautiful it was.

Ladies looooooove the fly guys. Truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back