Martin Magnum Pro 2000 Fogger DMX Control

Hey guys,
I've been trying to DMX control my Martin Magnum Pro 2000 Fogger, which requires a special device that Martin makes. I am ordering the converter, but it's on back order for over 10 weeks. Right now I am using an Elation DMX Operator Pro lighting controller, and noticed the 5-pin din (like midi) connection on the back for a fog machine, and am wondering if I can use this to control my fogger. Another site I found described how to control the fogger via a 0-10 volt source, which is the protocol that the included fog controller uses: Function
0 - 1.0 V No function - machine stand by.
1.0 - 2.5 V Enabling the heater circuit - same as ’power on’.
2.5 - 9.5 V Smoke emission. Output increases with control voltage.
9.5 - 10.0 V Timer store.

So basically what I'm wondering is if anyone knows if the output on the lighting controller is a 0-10 volt control source, (because I could just make a midi to xlr cord with the right pin combination), or if there is any other way to control via the controller? (DMX?)

Thanks,
-Alex.

Our fog machines may be different. However mine just take a 5-pin DMX cable in/out and the DMX values have different functions much like scrollers or any intelligent fixture. (no converter required) (do you have any photos of your machines?)

Our fog machines may be different. However mine just take a 5-pin DMX cable in/out and the DMX values have different functions much like scrollers or any intelligent fixture. (no converter required) (do you have any photos of your machines?)

Allow me to correct my response. As far as I know the slot on your controller is only compatible with a few ADJ fog machines.

HOWEVER- the magnum 2k's come with a removable interface for controlling them, I have been known to swap my DMX unit for this push button control unit. You can use 3-pin XLR cables to jump out of the machine and into the control unit. I can vouch that it will function properly for 300ft of added XLR cable from experience and wouldn't doubt if it could go further. I hope that helps you!

... or if there is any other way to control via the controller? (DMX?)
You could control the fogger with a DMX-to-analog protocol converter (example) and some DIY wiring, but it would cost a minimum of $100.

From http://www.martin.com/service/downloadfile.asp?name=UM_Magnumpro2000_EN_A.pdf&cat=65 :
OPERATING VIA A 0-10 VOLT SOURCE
Basically, operation via a 0-10 Volt signal is similar to operation via the remote control unit,
since the voltage level in this case determines the function. You will need to unplug the
remote control unit and connect your analog source to the XLR control input on the back of
the machine. Before connecting you must ensure that GND (ground) on your analog source
will connect to pin 1 on the XLR control input and that the +0-10V output on your analog
source will connect to pin 3 on the XLR control input.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back