Masking for Mirrors in Black Box Space

We have a dance studio that will be doubling as a black box theater. Dimentions are about 50' X 34' with a lighting grid at 14' off the deck.

There are 6' tall mirrors across the wide wall that would best serve as the upstage wall of playing areas. So, I need to come up with the best way of easily masking the mirrors without using up too much real estate. I've considered hanging a black from the grid at the wall but wondered if anyone has other ideas?

Cheers!

A black drape hung from the grid is the tidiest way of covering mirrors. I'd be inclined to permanently mount a tab track and have the drapes on that - that way you don't have to get a ladder/genie/tallescope/whatever out every time you need to uncover the mirrors, and it means if you've got classes in there during the day and a show at night, the teacher can just uncover the mirrors and pull the drapes back across at the end of the class. Go for flat drapes though, nothing with fullness so you get a cleaner back wall.

In my black box I have a horse shoe shaped track and enough curtains to cover all three walls. It makes the space look and sound significantly different when the curtains are spread all the way around. (No curtains on the booth/audience entrance wall). Beware the fire marshall and hiding fire exits from view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back