Mic'ing problems

EustaceM

I need to mic both a band, and singers. The total number of mics that are going to be used is 15. All I have are wired microphones. There isnt a budget for wireless microphones. The mixer is located in the booth at the back of the house. How do I connect the 15 microphones to the mixer?

We do not have enough XLR cables to daisy chain each microphone.
Soundcraft 24 Channel Mixer

You need a stage snake. I can't speak to the quality of this particular model as I have never used it, but you get the idea. Talk to your local dealers. HERE

Well, a) daisy chaining microphones?!?! b) If you don't have enough XLR cables to connect each microphone to the board, your four choices are 1) get a snake (preferred), 2) get more XLR cables (perfectly valid solution, but more work) 3) use fewer mics (call it an "intimate" performance) 4) move the board closer so you don't have to run as many cables as far (but don't get too close, while there have been many threads on CB regarding mix positions no one has ever recommended "right next to the stage").

Well, a) daisy chaining microphones?!?! b) If you don't have enough XLR cables to connect each microphone to the board, your four choices are 1) get a snake (preferred), 2) get more XLR cables (perfectly valid solution, but more work) 3) use fewer mics (call it an "intimate" performance) 4) move the board closer so you don't have to run as many cables as far (but don't get too close, while there have been many threads on CB regarding mix positions no one has ever recommended "right next to the stage").

Thank you! I appreciate it.

I also have a question, it doesnt relate to my show it's more of a curiosity. Since my board only 24 channels, let's say I needed additional channels for additional microphones. How is it done? Do I really need to purchase another mixer (that is too expensive)

Yep, there's no way to magically add channels to a board. Though, if you need something like 26 channels (and don't forsee the need for too many more in the future) you could just buy a small 4- or 6-channel mixer and hook its outputs into the larger board. Of course, this means that things like aux sends will be trickier, but with a well-planned channel layout that won't be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back