MK scrimmerette

alan k

I am involved at a community theater where we use 3 of the apparently obsolete MK Scrimmerette dimmer packs.
In one of the units, the fan has stopped working. Unit is tripping one of the circuit breakers, so we're thinking that it is overheating. Haven't opened it up yet, and I'm not much on electronics repair; I prefer larger wires, and solder is meant for copper pipes!!! Anyhow, any thoughts on this---anyone know anything about them? Is the fan fused?? Is a replacement available?? soldered in, or a plug connection?? Probably AC, not DC?? Could it be something else that controls the fan that has malfunctioned?? Anyone have any thoughts?

Take it out, read specs. A quick google search should find you a fine replacement. As far as connections, shouldn't be anything too complicated!

Not sure which model you have, but all the Scrimmeretts I had (still have a couple) used regular old 120 volt whisper fans with the little 2 prong plug. Basically (power disconnected) bunch of little screws and the top comes off. unplug fan, replace fan, plug back in and reassemble. Now the bad news- I suspect that the breaker popping has nothing to do with the fan. If this is the old version, there is a main breaker on the front and silver-sand fuses for the channels on the rear. If it is a newer one with individual breakers, then you either have an overloaded channel, or the breaker itself went bad. Outside of those two things, a direct-to-frame short would be the problem. Unusual, if it uses the back-to-back SCR modules (looks like an SSR but isn't) If it uses actual SCRs, then an insulator may be bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back