Mobile Tool Storage

Ech725

The college I work for does not have a scene shop. The shop is the stage. The tool room is located a floor below. I've done a lot of on-site scenic installs in the past, so I'm no stranger to carrying your tools to the job site. There is a good amount of space in the wings, so I'm thinking about building a mobile tool cart. I've used JoBox tool chest/cabinets in the past, but I don't have the budget to buy one. I know going up and down the stairs to store and take out the tools will get tiresome. The theater does not have the best security because it is on the second floor and there is easy access from the first floor. While the area is calm and does not have a high theft rate, I want to make sure the tool cart is pretty secure. I wanted to know if anyone has built their own version of a JoBox or perhaps had some tips?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Any kind of box with a lock and casters will keep things from walking away (unless they take the entire box), a better question might be how much ease of access you need vs. money available to spend. A standard steel storage cabinet (I'm thinking of the 6' tall two-door ones) would hold a lot of stuff, and could be put on a cart for rolling around (assuming you have an elevator if it's going to home back to the tool room between shows), or any sort of homemade roadcase with a padlock can work. Used cabinets can be found for under $100, and your school might have some surplus ones around, check with the Buildings and Grounds type folks.

Perhaps a permanent cabinet onstage sized for the stuff you'd use every day, and leaving the less-frequent tools downstairs, would be the economical option.

What about a used office supply cabinet, which I'm sure there are a few of in the building already. If necessary, you could add a padlock. Granted, it would be stationary. Or an old work box if you needed it to roll.

We use an old laptop cart that technology was getting rid of. If its safe enough for 30 laptops it's safe enough for tools!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back