"Piping" the Cyc

Hugtrain

Our theater has a ~40' straight Cyclorama in the back and for our next production, I'd like to have it be flat. Problem is, everyone that knew how left a while ago, and I was wondering if you guys could help.

We have a pipe in the shop, schedule 40 1 1/2" diameter and all the connectors for it to slang the whole width. The curtain has a chain pocket, and a (I want to say) sewn pipe skirt with grommets at regular intervals.

A previous test with Tieline proved to be unsuccessful. The rope kept slipping from the weight of the pipe. I also expected the pipe to be suspended in the air, but it just sat on the floor. I don't know if the fabric could even hold that much weight.

Does anyone know the process for this?

Bring in the cyc to "piping height", about 3 feet off the deck. Slide the first 20' section of 1/2" into the pipe pocket. When doing this, have other stagehands support the pipe/pocket. As you insert more pipe, have the hands "bounce" the pocket and pipe; this will reduce friction. When the first section is in, screw on the coupler and next section of 1/2" pipe and repeat. Have a stagehand on each side pull the pocket off-stage to pull out any wrinkles at the bottom.

Bring in the cyc to "piping height", about 3 feet off the deck. Slide the first 20' section of 1/2" into the pipe pocket. When doing this, have other stagehands support the pipe/pocket. As you insert more pipe, have the hands "bounce" the pocket and pipe; this will reduce friction. When the first section is in, screw on the coupler and next section of 1/2" pipe and repeat. Have a stagehand on each side pull the pocket off-stage to pull out any wrinkles at the bottom.

You need a crew of at least 6 or so people to support the pipe as you are sliding it into the pipe pocket. As well we always used 1” steel, with threading and couplers. As we fed a length, we had people to support it, you then screw on an addl length, slide it in, add sections. 1-1/2 “ is in my mind too big and too heavy.

Our theater has a ~40' straight Cyclorama in the back and for our next production, I'd like to have it be flat. Problem is, everyone that knew how left a while ago, and I was wondering if you guys could help.

The curtain has a chain pocket, and a (I want to say) sewn pipe skirt with grommets at regular intervals.
The grommets suggest to me that it may have been on a frame at one time...

The grommets suggest to me that it may have been on a frame at one time...
Curtain_2-768x407.jpg

This is the closest I can find to ours at the moment, but i flipped the picture. Just pretend that it's a bottom finish, and the grommets aren't sewn to the curtain. I can't find an exact match, For all I know, the curtain was installed upside-down!

Typically a 1 1/2" pipe is way too big for a cyc, especially in a pipe pocket. If there are grommets at the bottom, in addition to the chain pocket, then it was designed to be used with a stretcher pipe and you simply tie it on to that scd40 pipe. I'd have two folks start at center and lightly pull towards the ends as they tie on to the pipe. it would also be a good idea to then rig up some 'cyc stretchers". IDK if those are defined on here or not, essentially a 1x4 sandwich that captures the middle <height-wise> of the cyc so that you can pull it towards the wings. You typically get the tension from a couple light booms in the wings. You put a couple screw eyes on the offstage side of the 2 1x4's and thread son bungee through them and tie-off to the boom.
If you don't have grommets on the bottom but there is a pipe pocket in addition to the chain pocket, then install a 3/4" black-pipe with couplers , through there and follow the same instructions.
The issue with a dead-hung stage could be a problem; cycs stretch it may be that putting a pipe on the bottom will still not pull the cyc tight. there is a technique called "Opera Ties" get up to the top, hope you have a lift. Star center stage and take one of the pieces of tie-line, or ribbon and bring it over the top of the batten towards upstage. then wrap that same piece under the batten and back up between the cyc and the pipe. Now take the one tie and warp it the opposite direction <over the top down between the cyc and pipe then wrap around towards the top. Pull the top hem of the cyc up to the top of the pipe and tie the two loose ends. by pulling the hem up you gain about two inches; hopefully that will allow your bottom pipe to get off the floor.

Typically a 1 1/2" pipe is way too big for a cyc, especially in a pipe pocket. If there are grommets at the bottom, in addition to the chain pocket, then it was designed to be used with a stretcher pipe and you simply tie it on to that scd40 pipe.
Oh, so instead of the pipe weighing it down in the air, the pipe kind of anchors it in place while sitting on the floor?

Oh, so instead of the pipe weighing it down in the air, the pipe kind of anchors it in place while sitting on the floor?
Yeah, which is the way it should be with a chain as well. the pipe pocket or chain pocket should be floating. In the OLD days the pipe pocket would have gaps in it every 5-6 feet. you would use a piece of hardware called a cyc-clamp or... Oh there's another term, anyway you put the clamp ove the bottom pipe where the gaps were and screw them to the deck. you would then pull the cyc tight by flying the lineset a bit. .

Also, the cyc is on a manual track, not static
Ack, we install those all the time and I really don't like them, hopefully you can move the cyc up in the trim chain a bit. Unfortunately most installers only use a 3" trim chain and you don't get a lot of trimmability. You can tie into the last grommet and run tie-line to the closest track hanger to pull the op tight. but don't go crazy you can pull too tight.

I’m missing something in the description:
Hugtrain: “A previous test with Tieline proved to be unsuccessful. The rope kept slipping from the weight of the pipe.”

I’d take another look at Van’s suggestion. “the pipe pocket or chain pocket should be floating.”
Your 1.5 inch pipe along the top.
The 1/2 inch pipe in the chain pocket just off the deck.
1707150354651.png
↑ Top ↑

I’m missing something in the description:
Hugtrain: “A previous test with Tieline proved to be unsuccessful. The rope kept slipping from the weight of the pipe.”

I’d take another look at Van’s suggestion. “the pipe pocket or chain pocket should be floating.”
Your 1.5 inch pipe along the top.
The 1/2 inch pipe in the chain pocket just off the deck.
View attachment 25283↑ Top ↑
I know that the picture is for a top finish, but I used it because it was the only representation I had available to me. See pictures on the my last reply

If you look closely at your picture, you will see two different knots for each grommet. This arrangement gives a flat side-to-side hang, vertical choice, and some grab on the pipe for side-to-side tension/position. What I’ve used are simple enough, but I’m interested in what the pros here suggest. (overhand and square knots)

Last edited:
If you look closely at your picture, you will see two different knots for each grommet. This arrangement gives a flat side-to-side hang, vertical choice, and some grab on the pipe for side-to-side tension/position. What I’ve used are simple enough, but I’m interested in what the pros here suggest.
Oh, I just like to be clear that the picture with the RED curtain is not mine, I got it from online. The pictures with a WHITE curtain are the ones in our theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back