Mold Making Help?

Hello everyone! I'm in need of some suggestions if anyone can help...

We are doing a production of Beauty and the Beast soon and I would like to create some ornate trim and architectural ornaments on the set for the Beast's castle. I'd rather not have to carve foam by hand to create these things, but I'm not sure how else to do it. I considered creating molds, but I'd need something as a model first, right?

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to make cheap, easy architectural elements without spending hours carving? Specifically, I'd like to make something like rosettes or lion heads, or the like to embellish columns, trim the fireplace, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give! ;)

Here is an online catalog of latex rubber ornaments that we having been making for just such purposes for 40 years. They are pretty inexpensive. There is a link to pricing chart on the opening page. You can call me if you have any questions.

CD

There are 45 pages of thousands of styles of latex decoration sorted by category. Good luck with your production.

Brian Wolfe
845-534-9120

Another solution, if you don't have the money to purchase items is the old fashioned, 'dope in a bag' trick. You can either mix scenic dope, or used plaster that has been thickened wih cellulose, place it in a pastry bag < yes like for decorating cakes> and then squeeze out whatever design you want. Depenedin on your removal from the audience, how far away you are, the technicque can look just great. Many older scenic books will have references as to how to do this as well.

Wow, Van! That's a really cool idea too! I love decorating cakes for special occasions, so I think I might actually be quite good at this... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back