Automated Fixtures Moving Heads too close to TV's HELP

K i have some elation platinum beam 5R's basically sharpy knockoffs but none the less A HIGH OUTPUT BEAM that can burn thing within 4 feet of them and i have a tv screen next to where they are hangin (NO I CANT MOVE THE TV OR PLAT BEAM ) how do i program the light to where defaults wont let it hit the tv when in an effect ? I'm Running Wholehog/ PC

Not sure how would this be done on a Hog, but every modern console should have user-definable dimming curves, which could be applied to non-intensity parameters as well. So by setting a curve for pan and tilt with most left (top) position set as 0% and most right (bottom) as 100% should result in ML´s to never hit the screen (and reduce their range drastically as well).

It might work. I have never done such thing though, so do not take it for granted.

How close is the TV? To me it seems unlikely that the Elation would actually burn the TV unless it was in one position for a long period of time.

I've never even looked at how this would work, and similar to essentials' idea, if you were adventurous you could DIY yourself a custom fixture profile specifically for this light, redefining the way the board maps control attributes to DMX values. YMMV, though, and I think a good solution to this would be a piece of curved tin spray-painted heat-resistant black and hung in the right position between the light and the TV.

I don't have a hog in front of me now but it can be done its a setting in the patch menu. It allows you to rename Gobos and change default dimming levels along with default pan and tilt values. I use it when I cannot see the fixtures and cannot tell where the beam is pointed without wiggling it around I set the default to its at least pointed at the stage.

Unless I'm mistaken, the homing sequence will take the moving light through the full range of pan and tilt motion. If these parameters (X and Y at homing) are user defined, then you certainly have a chance to avoid the screen. If these parameters (X and Y at homing) are not user defined, then you might have a problem.
You may consider contacting an Elation rep for support-
support @ elationlighting.com or call (866) 245-6726

Yeah but the homing sequence usually happens before lamp strike and or with the douser closed.

I'm pretty sure it's a setting in the patch screen. It should be under Edit fixtures, then select the problem child and scroll to Pan default and tilt default and set them to something other than the default.

At least that is where it is in Hog II, I haven't run Hog III in years so I don't remember the menu structures, but it should be close.

Just fired up the hog..... Go into patch then push edit fixtures and change the default pan and tilt levels if you want to cut down the range of motion you can try changing the min and max values.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back