Mylar confetti as rain

FatherMurphy

I'm in the market for some suggestions....

For a children's touring show, we've been trying to do a rain effect with silver mylar confetti and a Meteor confetti spreader, unfortunately the confetti strips keep clogging at the mouth of the funnel under the hopper. I've tried everything mechanical I can think, changing the internal stir sticks, distance between hopper and fan, Static Guard, etc., but the base problem remains that the confetti strips overlap each other, bind up, and don't flow.

We're shooting for a duration of 30 to 60 seconds, so solenoid boxes and dump buckets are out, we're too far downstage for snow bag solutions, and the blower boxes I've seen are too noisy (it's a rather quiet scene). I've thought about mounting a hopper to an Apollo Right Arm, but the client doesn't have the budget for it.

Does anyone know of a spreader that works for strip confetti? Rolling cage style, perhaps? Silent blower? Any other thoughts?

What about using a different sized confetti, or maybe paper confetti . . .
I believe you can get mylar confetti in a small disk size like quarters.

Quarter sized, I think, will be subject to the same overlapping problem as the strips. The spreader was designed for 1/4" paper dots, we were fooled by a successful test run into thinking that it would be reliable with the strips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back