Need advice on microphones

JLNorthGA

We "inherited" a number of Sennheiser vocal microphones as well as some cable. We recently had a concert of three songwriters. They all had their guitars (or other instruments). Fortunately we were able to plug two of the guitars into a 1/4" to XLR converter box.

Pretty much tells me that we need microphones. The musicians tell me "get some Shure 57 and Shure 58 microphones". The Shure 57 for instruments and the Shure 58 for vocals. Probably going to have to buy these one at a time or so.

We also had a performance by Moscow Nights/Golden Gates which is a music/dance troupe. They requested some wireless microphones (which we don't have) - fortunately they had two that they could use.

This tells me that we'll probably have to invest in some wireless microphones (probably one per year).

What are some reasonable microphones (vocal and instrumental) that I should look at purchasing? What are some reasonable wireless microphones (and base units) that I should consider? Should I go for lavalier style or handheld? I've never been really impressed with the vocal quality on the lavalier microphones that I've used (Sony).

Shure SM57/58s are amazing as far as their durability. They don't sound "too" bad, and their probably one of the only mics that outside groups will expect you to have.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
And, you can't argue about the cost of 57s and 58s. There are better mics out there, but they cost $100 and they please most artists. If you have to build up a mic inventory fast and cheap, you won't go wrong with those two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back