New Art Space Funding

Final Logo,

Although not final colors, but what we're going with right now. Apparently the forums added its own background. I had it transparent but its showing with a black one on here.

Attachments

• Logo.jpg
    Logo.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 17
I like the new placement of the mascot, but in your previous updated version, I preferred the option one for typesetting.

Just some food for thought, you might want to look at this Architect's site, Surber Barber Choate & Hertlein Architects, P.C.. Under "Portfolio" and then "Commercial/Institutional", the Architecture Auditorium, The Old CE Building and and the Swann Building are all renovations or adaptive reuse of older buildings on the Georgia Tech campus for which I was the AV and acoustics consultant. Swann and Old CE remind me of at least the front portion of your building in that they were old brick construction being converted to modern classroom, meeting room and office space.

I will say that even though those buildings were generally in much better condition that the Woburn Armory appears to be, at least in part because they were still occupied and in use, there were still a number of challenges to overcome in incorporating modern building systems (HVAC, networking, AV, etc.) and modern code requirements into the buildings. One of the aspects that may affect you is that playing on the historic significance can help in terms of funding and marketing, however this may also impose many restrictions on what can or has to be included in any construction. For example, ADA and code would probably require an elevator and any historic status would probably preclude adding any rooftop elements that were visible from the street. With no attic space that probably results in having to provide a pit for the elevator, which can lead to other design issues all of which have costs associated. And on the Swann Building project there was a great deal of design effort and cost involved in coming up with a creative solution for where to house the HVAC equipment and how to distribute the air. The negative is that such issues require a lot of work and potentially money, the positive side is that finding solutions is very fulfilling and the results can be quite interesting and exciting.

I don't want to rain on the parade, but don't fall in love with that building until you see a detailed report on its condition and estimated repair costs from a qualified person, such as a registered professional structural engineer.

I see a number of scary things just from your pictures. That building has been left exposed to water damage for quite awhile. A bad roof, broken windows, and missing gutters and soffits can destroy its structural integrity very rapidly. The roof likely contains asbestos, which will cost a bucket load of money to remove it before a new roof is installed.

The brick is in dire condition. The ivy covering parts of it does severe damage over time. At the very least, all of the mortar will need repointing along with spot brick replacement and that is a labor intensive, very expensive job. Don't stand near that building without a hard hat.

A building in almost any condition can be saved with enough money. Can millions of dollars be found? That's probably what it'll take just to stabilize the building without remodeling the interior to fit the intended new use. Is there another building that would serve the need without needing such an extensive investment just to keep it standing?

Oh trust me I know, this was just a proposed location because of the actual location of it and the historic aspect of it. We are open to other locations and it seems we'll have to find another location. My assistant I'm working with has slown down this process into a 6 month thing now. I've been demanding we get the non-profit formed and she give me the work she's done so we can get places. However I keep getting excuses on why I it's taking so long. The building was "leased or sold" three weeks ago, however it's not set in stone. So we'll see what happens.

Time to light a fire under this projects proverbial butt. If anyone has experience with the formation of a non-profit I'd greatly appreciate if you could help in the process of creating one. We'd at least like to get the non-profit registered so we can start taking donations and open an account with the bank to store the funds. So if any of our wonderful CB members are willing to help on this project that'd be fantastic! Basically I need help by someone who can actually help fill out the forums and make sure the process is done right.

My suggestion is find a lawyer that is a friend of the arts that will help cheaply or pro bono. I have gone that route in the past and it worked out great. If you set it up as a corporation or LLC, he can help with all the yearly reports needed.

The big question is finding a local lawyer who does support it. I'll have to work on finding some local lawyers.

Do you have contacts in the community theatre ranks, they should be able to send you in the right direction. Also check with your local Arts Council, they may have an idea.

Most of the contacts I have locally (as in people that would know a lawyer within decent distance to where we are), are from small community theaters like small black box in the back of an old location. So the ones I asked didn't have much help in terms of the new formation of a non-profit.

They may not know how to set it up but they should know some friendy lawyers.

The Small Business Administration (SBA) may have some resources, both online and perhaps at a local office. They have information on grants and funding for non-profits on their web site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back