New to all this and need help with projection software

Hysteria

Hi there,

So I have been recently roped into my university's theatre society by a friend (who is an actor) as a tech team member due to the society needing more. Now, I have no experience with theatre apart from a brief role as an extra back when I was 13 so I have no experience in anything tech related.

For the first performance I'll be a part of I've been asked to be a part of they require 3 projectors to be set up and each receive a unique input. My personal windows PC has the hardware to physically render and drive the 3 main outputs + a monitor but I have no idea on how to actually set this up properly from a software perspective.

I've seen programs such as Isadora, Qlab, Resolume Arena, etc. However I haven't been able to find a cheap (preferably free) piece of software which will be able to drive 3 outputs and is also windows based. Unfortunately getting our hands on a Mac and renting Qlab is outside of our budget constraints so I would be extremely grateful for any advice or recommendations people on this forum could offer to myself.

Thanks in advance,
Hysteria

The Cue Player Premium Plus software will control up to 6 video streams. The basic setup has two on a main computer and up to 4 networked computers, but that's not to say one of the networked ones could be 127.0.0.1 (the main). I've not tested that, but will later tonight and report. Unfortunately, it is not free software. It is mine, however, that is why I can work with you to setup an appropriate install.

As I thought, the networked video player works fine on the local PC via address 127.0.0.1.

Last edited:
I bought Isadora as one of the least expensive options out there. You may find someone who will rent it to you as well. It can be downloaded and used for free, but you can't make any saves, so if it crashes you have to start over.

There are free programs like VPT, but it can be difficult as a first software to learn.

For freeware with multi-display outs, you could check out either vvvv or CasperCG.
Note: I have no experience with either.

Thank you for the replies so far. I'll report back after trying out vvvv and CasperCG first before looking into paid options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back