Not so much production related, but the discussion of high school students using equipment has come up before...

So long as there's someone qualified to train, I always think that students should be able to learn doing the work.

Several high school theaters in my area were upgraded to new facilities over the past few years—which is fantastic for so many reasons. Unfortunately it means that those schools no longer allow students to access the lighting positions themselves, which means whatever lighting focus needs to be done can only be done so by facility staff or a volunteer parent, leaving the students to not learn crucial skills to the industry.

So long as there's someone qualified to train, I always think that students should be able to learn doing the work.

Several high school theaters in my area were upgraded to new facilities over the past few years—which is fantastic for so many reasons. Unfortunately it means that those schools no longer allow students to access the lighting positions themselves, which means whatever lighting focus needs to be done can only be done so by facility staff or a volunteer parent, leaving the students to not learn crucial skills to the industry.

And I'm sitting over here a graduate from a high school that taught me to do a bare end tie in when I was 15....

MA has its own issues, and hoisting equipment requires a state license, which includes chain hoist. Think all those your riggings have a MA 3a hoisting License? Nah.

But I think it’s absolutely absurd to not teach students how to work in the real world while in High school.

MA has its own issues, and hoisting equipment requires a state license, which includes chain hoist. Think all those your riggings have a MA 3a hoisting License? Nah.

But I think it’s absolutely absurd to not teach students how to work in the real world while in High school.

Especially in vocational training. There is nothing stopping HS based vocational training leading to a 50k+ job straight after high school... especially in agriculture.

At my school, you can dual-enroll at the local technical school to operate diggers and bulldozers, but me climbing a ladder in the theater is too much of a liability apparently.

My 14 year old is using a welder, drill press, lathe, table saw, bandsaw, and lord knows what else in his industrial tech class (metal shop and wood shop to all the old fogies). Pretty sure kids can handle what gets thrown at them with the right instruction and direction.

My 14 year old is using a welder, drill press, lathe, table saw, bandsaw, and lord knows what else in his industrial tech class (metal shop and wood shop to all the old fogies). Pretty sure kids can handle what gets thrown at them with the right instruction and direction.
Exactly, I completed a design tech class in 7th grade, you'd think I could climb a ladder!

Exactly, I completed a design tech class in 7th grade, you'd think I could climb a ladder!
I'm thinking you're qualified for ladder climbing. I can understand why the school's insurance company might want to minimize their exposure to claims as falls and slips are the most common workplace injuries. If an employee is injured at work there are laws and regulations that can limit an employers (and their insurer) amount of claims. With students, visitors, any non employees, there are no limits. That delta is why insurers want their insureds to limit exposure to potential claims.

FWIW. The first year I helped at a HS the director/department head told me insurance prevented him from forming a crew or letting students go up ladders. I checked it out with the school’s Business Manager. The BM said a crew and ladders were no problem because the students were covered by the HS’s insurance (he may have mentioned football as an example).

FWIW. The first year I helped at a HS the director/department head told me insurance prevented him from forming a crew or letting students go up ladders. I checked it out with the school’s Business Manager. The BM said a crew and ladders were no problem because the students were covered by the HS’s insurance (he may have mentioned football as an example).

Getting a clear and complete answer on what is allowed can often be a messy game of telephone. On a visit to the main space I work in, our former insurance guy once pointed out our 14' platform ladder as something students shouldn't be allowed to use. I later tried to clarify the ladder rule (whether he meant all ladders, or whether our 6' & 8' a-frames were okay), but never managed to get a straight answer. Now he's no longer with the district and his position was eliminated, so I'm not even clear on who would be the final authority on what our insurance requires/allows. It's pretty dumb.

As frustrating as it is, often it is HOW you ask that question that determines what the answer is. Give the AHJ the most information you can with some examples. That often will get you a realistic and real world answer. Getting it in writing is critical to backing up what your safety plan is.

My favorite reply when working as a HS TD when someone questioned the safety of kids in a working theater was to point out that I'd sent zero kids to the hospital in ten years, but how many did football send? And that's not to say football is bad, but there are acceptable risks in any activity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back