Control/Dimming NSI Melange stopped sending DMX

JustChip

So I got a used NSI Melange a few years back for embarrassingly cheap. It's been working great in our small dance studio performance space. I have been running a combination of Multiplex and DMX dimmers with great success.

All of a sudden none of the DMX Dimmers are firing. The MPX dimmers are behaving normally and the board seems to be otherwise fine.

I've checked the configurations and everything looks normal.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

So I got a used NSI Melange a few years back for embarrassingly cheap. It's been working great in our small dance studio performance space. I have been running a combination of Multiplex and DMX dimmers with great success.

All of a sudden none of the DMX Dimmers are firing. The MPX dimmers are behaving normally and the board seems to be otherwise fine.

I've checked the configurations and everything looks normal.
Any thoughts?

Thanks

Have you checked/replaced the DMX cabling?

Most fixtures/dimmers/etc have a DMX indicator that indicates if DMX is present. Once you have eliminated cables, check to see that the fixtures are receiving DMX. If they are showing DMX but not responding then it is probably some type of patching crash. If the DMX is not being received then the RS-485 transceiver chip may have popped in the board. On the bright side, it is probably a generic chip.

Most fixtures/dimmers/etc have a DMX indicator that indicates if DMX is present. Once you have eliminated cables, check to see that the fixtures are receiving DMX. If they are showing DMX but not responding then it is probably some type of patching crash. If the DMX is not being received then the RS-485 transceiver chip may have popped in the board. On the bright side, it is probably a generic chip.

Thanks for the response. It does seem to be the chip.

Thanks for the response. It does seem to be the chip.
One last thing to check is to try a couple of fixtures by themselves with a known good cable. Board - Fixture, nothing else. There is always the chance that a fixture failure is loading down the signal line. If each of the test fixtures still shows no DMX, then you can be pretty sure it is a board problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back