Control/Dimming Old Dimmer, Model? (S/C CPD-1T)

Dirka

Hello,

I've recently found this relic in the basement and have been wondering what it is, if it's useable, and if it'd be possible to repair (and who'd do it)...

From the tag I know it's a Century Strand, but besides that I haven't had any luck pinning down a model. Any thoughts?

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

Thanks!
pencil.png

... I've recently found this relic in the basement and have been wondering what it is, if it's useable, and if it'd be possible to repair (and who'd do it)...
It's a semi-portable dimmer rack, 12x3.6kW dimmers.

For comparison purposes, here is a modern 12x2.4kW dimmer pack:
proxy.php

a mere fraction of the size and weight.

If it works, it's usuable, but you're very likely to need a DMX to analog protocol converter. Cost $100-$2000.

As for repair, likely not cost-effective, unless one of these Service and Repair Vendors - ControlBooth, or other qualified person, is nearby. Cost of shipping alone would kill you.

...From the tag I know it's a Century Strand, ...
Careful with nomenclature, as "Century-Strand" would date the product from 1969-1976. "Strand-Century" would date from 1976-1989. Your rack was most likely manufactured between 1976 and 1979.

Last edited:
If memory serves it's a CPD-01 analog portable dimmer. I would guess it is equipped with 12 - 30 amp 120V dimmers. The "6-pack" version of this product was the first manufactured electronic dimming I ever saw, circa 1975? They were very popular in smaller venues in Ontario through the 70s and early 80s.

Last edited:
CPD = Century Portable Dimmer ? Canadian Portable Dimmer ?

Last edited:
If you e-mail the photo's to Steve Short at Litetrol, he might well have info., as well as a spare dimmer or two. [email protected]

It's obviously a Strand (probably a Rank-Strand) product, specific to the Canadian market, 12x3kw with a old-style twist receptacle outlet panel. What's remarkable to me, is that somebody took the time to road case it, with this style of road case being a much more recent design, so it appears this unit was in use for many years.

Biggest question is any of it functional ?. One item of interest is the round Amphenol style 16 pin receptacle on the lower right of the outlet panel, seemingly the only control interface on the unit and which say's "Analog". Thus no easy (or cheap) way to get it to talk to a modern desk.

What exactly do you want to do with it ?, whihc drives any further suggestions and advice.

... It's obviously a Strand (probably a Rank-Strand) product, ...
The tag says
STRAND CENTURY
A COMPANY WITHIN THE RANK ORGANISATION
and sports the famous "man and gong" logo:
proxy.php

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

----------------
...with a old-style twist receptacle outlet panel. ...
The receptacles sure look like NEMA L5-20 to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back