Operable Louvered Shutters

ajb

An upcoming show has four windows that the designer wants to fit with operable shutters. These are your typical louvered shutters, fake versions of which you see on suburban homes all over the place. Example Here. Except in our case, the designer wants them to be operable, and since they're single-leaf, both sides will be seen. They're also a non-standard size (11"x44"), so they'll have to be shop-built. In the past, when only one side gets seen, I've built them as a pine and lauan 'pan' with lauan strips laid in, which is a great, easy, sturdy method, but doesn't work when both sides need to be seen, nor do they pass light like real louvered shutters do.

I think we can get away with having them not pass light, but I need a way to make these shutters look real on both sides.

Assume for the moment that the designer is not willing to compromise and we can't afford to have custom shutters made.
Any thoughts?

(In real life for our production, the designer has agreed to painted detail on the back, and a 'simulated louver' design on the front, but for the sake of discussion, assume you need shutters that are fully realistic on both sides)

Last edited:
First hit the designer over the head with the nearest blunt object.

If he has a ton of money you can build what he wants. Since that is not an option he should go with vinyl. It is also possible to find operable ones at a salvage yard.

There must be some sort of reclaimed building materials store in the DC area.
Craiglist and Freecycle usually have used materials on them too.
----
Have you actually gotten a quote from a carpenter to build them?
There are tons of out of work tradesmen right now, so I bet you could get some pretty cheap quotes in exchange for ads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back